Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Modell 2 and Modell 5 Pictures Wanted!

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
A gentleman sent me some pics of the Modell 4, today, so the only horn I'm missing pics of is the Modell 2. I really, really want pics to prove a working theory.

First, these were some of the first horns that Keilwerth made, in the mid-1930's to possibly early 1940's. They all appear to have been available at the same time.

* Modell 1: Rolled tone holes. Microtuner neck. Extra keys (like D# trill). Some are engraved "Toneking".
* Modell 2: ?
* Modell 3: Rolled tone holes. Microtuner neck. No extra keys. Some are engraved "King".
* Modell 4: Keyed range from low B to altissimo F. Microtuner neck. Rolled tone holes. Missing alternate/chromatic keywork, like a Bb bis and a chromatic F#. No engraving.
* Modell 5: Keyed range from low B to altissimo F. Don't have pics of a neck. Rolled tone holes. Missing alternate/chromatic keywork, like a Bb bis and a chromatic F#. No engraving. No roller keys. No pearl keytouches.

========

Working theory:

* Modell 1 is the "super pro" model, comparable to what the Yamaha 875EX is today.
* Modell 2 is a scaled down version of the Modell 1. Probably is missing *something*, like the extra keywork or maybe it's a straight-tone hole horn. Something like a Yamaha 82Z.
* Modell 3: Basic pro horn, comparable to what the Yamaha 62 is today.
* Modell 4: Intermediate model. For those who can't afford the Modell 3. Possibly same bore design of A. Sax horns. Comparable to a Yamaha 32/34/52.
* Modell 5: Basic model. Almost definitely uses the A. Sax bore design. For the folks that want something that's kind of a sax. Comparable to a Yamaha 23/275.

Now, Keilwerth DID do this another time, too: in the 1960's you had the ...

* Toneking Exclusive ("EX")
* Toneking Special
* Toneking
* New King Special
* New King

... so there is a precedent.

However, the really fun/annoying thing is with those models from the 1960's, I've never been able to come up with a hard and fast rule which model had which features. Hey, I've got Superba I and II horns with rolled tone holes and without, so Keilwerth isn't really that consistent.

Back
Top Bottom