Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Monochrome III

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
... isn't. Monochrome, that is.

One of my favorite composers is Peter Schickele, more generally known for his discovery the last of JS Bach's 20-odd children (and certainly the oddest), PDQ Bach.

With that out of the way, I have greatly admired Mr. Schickele's orchestral and ensemble works -- heck, I had some on vinyl -- and I had started collecting some of his clarinet works a few years ago.

The man has a very, very good feel for the clarinet.

Monochrome III is a piece for nine Bb clarinets. The performers are supposed to perform in a circle and then play (remembering the notation from the sheet music). The result ... is stunning.

I searched for a full MP3 of an un-overdubbed version, because the overdubbed versions don't sound right. They're not supposed to. Check out this.

The MP3 I list here isn't from my website or the CD I bought -- I bought the CD HERE, which also has some other very, very nice clarinet pieces (unfortunately, the playing isn't as great as you'd hope, but it's OK) -- this MP3 appears to be from a live performance and the sound quality is a bit iffy, but it's the full piece. The gentleman that recorded it is a person that recorded another Schickele piece for CD.

I've played a few of Schickele's clarinet pieces and will try to discuss in the future. Really stellar stuff.