Mouthpieces what size,what type?

Hello i play the alto sax and am looking for a better sax mp i alrdy have a Selmer C* and am looking for something cheaper than 50$ but rlly good does anyone have any suggestions. Thank you:-D

Hello i play the alto sax and am looking for a better sax mp i alrdy have a Selmer C* and am looking for something cheaper than 50$ but rlly good does anyone have any suggestions. Thank you:-D

Save your money.

If you have a C* already, it's likely going to be much better than whatever you can get for $50.

Spend it on reeds, books, recordings or lessons instead.

Save your money.

If you have a C* already, it's likely going to be much better than whatever you can get for $50.

Spend it on reeds, books, recordings or lessons instead.

ACK.

If you really want to spend some money eg for a backup beak, consider a Hite Premiere or a Fobes Debut. Contrary to popular belief they're not just for students.

Merlin when i meant under $50 i meant i want it to be be cheap and worth my money to get it

007: Everyone's embouchure and tonal concepts are different. My favorite alto piece (currently using a Selmer Super Session F with soft reeds) may not work at all for you. Best that you go to a store with a good selection and spend the day trying them.

Another thing is that I've heard some great-sounding players on C* pieces. It is all in the embouchure and the reed-quality.

If you are limited to $50, I'd say spend it on a variety of reed brands and styles and make that C* work for you. A good mouthpiece is going to cost you more than $50, I fear. DAVE

What are you looking for in a mouthpiece? What type of music/band are you playing with it? Or wanting to play?

I'm not sure you are going to find much for cheaper than $50 new. Used is a different deal.

What kind of music are you playing? How long have you been playing? What's wrong with your existing mouthpiece?

The C* is a very decent mouthpiece. I know a number of players who swear by them. I assume we are talking about the S80. You will also find a number of players who play other pieces.

yes i meant as in i dont want to spend alot of money on a mp. i would spend around $80-$90. I also like playing all kinds of music so i dont really concentrate on anything.

What is the problem with the C* ?

i don't know i just don't like it i mean other people may like it but it Selmer C* and I don't work that well so im thinking about getting a new mp

eBay could be your only hope if you want "good" and "under $50". It'd also be used.

You should be a little more descriptive than, "i just don't like it". Is it too resistant? Do you consistently play out of tune? Is your tone extra wimpy?

It could be that the mouthpiece isn't at fault, but the reeds or your embochure.

To add a different flavour :)

I'm no longer an alto player, but I believe that the Vandoren V16 alto mouthpieces are really superb stock pieces. I've played several Vandoren pieces and they've all been fantastic.

That said, my all time favorite alto mouthpiece was an Otto Link HR 6* that I got for free with a horrible Alpine saxophone.

Both of these are more than $50 new, but if you do some searching around you might find one cheap. IMHO, both are worth trying-buying-having.

Rory

I've always had a high opinion of Vandoren mouthpieces, myself.

The stock mouthpiece that used to come with the Yamaha 52-series horns is a copy of a Vandoren. That one was good, too.

Hey, Vandoren's clarinet mouthpieces are also good!

i don't know i just don't like it i mean other people may like it but it Selmer C* and I don't work that well so im thinking about getting a new mp

Have you tried using a different brand/strength reed?
How long have you been playing to determine that this mouthpiece is holding you back and you need something different?

If you are a beginner it's best to put in the practice time, decide what sound you are looking for, and THEN try different mouthpieces. NO mouthpiece is going to make you a better player if you don't put in the practice.time.

"I don't know, I just don't like it" isn't much of a reason for us to make suggestions.

Like I said in your ligature thread, I'm not going to be nice.

I hate to be so mean, but come on.

None of us can really make a suggestion without knowing the who, what, when, where, and why.

If I'm wrong please correct me.

Never fear!!:emoji_rage:

007 is looking for some beginner's advice. I have asked him to ... rephrase ... the request in this thread and also post elsewhere regarding another topic.

I have also combined his two threads regarding ligatures. I have not deleted them, as there is some substance to the thread beyond me posting, "Dude. Don't get a ligature until after you settle on a mouthpiece. It might not fit."

==========

IMO, others could post, in this thread, your recommendations for the best mouthpiece for a beginner. However, my opinion is that the FIRST thing to do is ask your instructor what the best 'piece for you is.

That being said, the C* isn't a bad choice, but the Selmer Soloist is back out and I liked those more. The Vandoren offerings are also decent. They're all still over $50, but that can't be helped.

Mind you, a) the mouthpiece should be in hard rubber (beginner) and b) I don't really care about tip length/openings. My main mouthpieces, when I was playing, were Sigurd Raschers (where you don't get choices) and a hard rubber Berg Larsen 110/0 on bari -- which is a relatively uncommonconfiguration, from what I hear. So, if you have specific tip length/opening recommendations, post those.

Reeds should also be discussed (007 has a separate thread), but bottom lining that discussion is, "Use what your instructor says is best." Mind, I do understand that some reeds work better with some mouthpieces, but the reeds I used were discontinued LONG ago (Vandoren Modele Jazz 3.5 on everything), so you might want to mention something like, "The Pete Superbial Mouthpiece really works nicely with the Pete BalaReaction Reeds. It's a jazzy mouthpiece, so it lends itself to softer reeds."

Or something like that.

Have you tried using a different brand/strength reed?
How long have you been playing to determine that this mouthpiece is holding you back and you need something different?

If you are a beginner it's best to put in the practice time, decide what sound you are looking for, and THEN try different mouthpieces. NO mouthpiece is going to make you a better player if you don't put in the practice.time.

"I don't know, I just don't like it" isn't much of a reason for us to make suggestions.

Like I said in your ligature thread, I'm not going to be nice.

Sure, of course.

But on the other hand (and regardless of the mental state of the OP :)) it seems worth adding that there is no good reason to practice on a mouthpiece you don't like when there are loads of great ones available for not very much money? It seems to me that, if only psychologically, a player is likely to practice more--and more effectively--if she or he is happy with his or her gear.

I sure didn't learn to play better because I had that Alpine--in fact I hated the sight of it!

I defer 100% to the experienced teachers, but it seems to me that, if he really doesn't like it, and if getting another one will motivate him to practice more, what's the reason not to get a different one?

Rory

ps. It is probably also worth noting that most of the members of our forum either currently are--or have once been--ridiculous GAS-oholics. It is a disease which is both a) unavoidable and b) not fatal :)

Sure, of course.

But on the other hand (and regardless of the mental state of the OP :)) it seems worth adding that there is no good reason to practice on a mouthpiece you don't like when there are loads of great ones available for not very much money? It seems to me that, if only psychologically, a player is likely to practice more--and more effectively--if she or he is happy with his or her gear.

I sure didn't learn to play better because I had that Alpine--in fact I hated the sight of it!

I defer 100% to the experienced teachers, but it seems to me that, if he really doesn't like it, and if getting another one will motivate him to practice more, what's the reason not to get a different one?

Rory

ps. It is probably also worth noting that most of the members of our forum either currently are--or have once been--ridiculous GAS-oholics. It is a disease which is both a) unavoidable and b) not fatal :)
(BTB, GAS = "Gear Acquisition Syndrome".)

I sorta agree and sorta disagree, Rory.

I had a friend in high school that thought his Bundy II was the best sax evar and couldn't stand the sight of my Yamaha 52.

THEORY: he didn't know that there were better horns out there.

I had a friend at another high school who traded in his Selmer Mark VI for a Yamaha 23 because the 23 was "shiny".

THEORY: he didn't play well enough to know the difference.

Now, I essentially gave up clarinet in grade school because I didn't like the POS Bundy plastic mouthpiece that was on my (fairly nice, I've found) Signet wooden clarinet. I didn't know that the reason I hated playing was all because of the mouthpiece. And the instructor -- a flute player, IIRC -- didn't bother mentioning that other mouthpieces were available.

THEORY: get an instructor that actually knows the instrument and you're better off.

In 007's case, he's a beginner and it doesn't sound like his current instructor is a saxophone player, just a band director. The C* IS a decent mouthpiece. 007 MAY be using the wrong embochure. 007 IS using 2.5 reeds, which his instructor even says are too thin. 007 MAY be using a ligature that's beat up, based on his other posts. 007 MAY be using a beat up neckstrap (or using it at the wrong angle, etc.), based on his other posts.

I really don't mind if advanced studentia or pros start getting GAS, because that means I get pretty pictures (in some cases), but beginners really don't need others to feed their GAS: they need an antacid (i.e., "Get an actual saxophone instructor and buy the stuff he recommends).

THEORY: "I don't like" may mean "I'm using it wrong".

Just an opinion.

Back
Top Bottom