Mulligan on a Vandoren in 1991

I remember seeing him make a comment in liner notes or somewhere that Jean Paul had made some mouthpieces that he thought would work for him but then it seems that the repaired Gale held together.

It's hard to judge tone sometimes with youtube but it seems to me that the Vandoren doesn't have quite the same roundness to the tone that the Gale had.

In the Birth of The Cool scores that I just picked up there's a picture of Mulligan with his feet stretched out as he sits in a metal chair looking very relaxed. The interesting thing is that it looks like he's playing a metal berg!

I remember seeing him make a comment in liner notes or somewhere that Jean Paul had made some mouthpieces that he thought would work for him but then it seems that the repaired Gale held together.

It's hard to judge tone sometimes with youtube but it seems to me that the Vandoren doesn't have quite the same roundness to the tone that the Gale had.

In the Birth of The Cool scores that I just picked up there's a picture of Mulligan with his feet stretched out as he sits in a metal chair looking very relaxed. The interesting thing is that it looks like he's playing a metal berg!

I've seen that pic - I was led to believe it was a metal Runyon.

I didn't think Santy was doing metal pieces that early. 1949/1950 . . . I thought that it was only the Custom that was out then. It sure looks like a Berg.

Back
Top Bottom