Musical Bucket List

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
A "bucket list" is a list of things you want to do before you die.

One of our Admins, Jim, mentioned that he wanted to go to to the NAMM show as one of his "bucket list" things. What's in your musical bucket list? Have you done any of them? Maybe it's just a musical group you'd like to see in person. Maybe there's someone you'd like to play with. Maybe you want to make the World's Best Woodwind. Maybe it's just wanting to play one composition that's kicked your butt for years perfectly.

I'll start. I've actually done quite a few that were on the list:

* I wanted to direct an orchestra or band.
* I wanted to be on a CD, to experience the recording studio and stuff.
* I wanted to go to college and study with some really good players that were serious about music.
* I've wanted to play and sing with some brand-name musicians, just to see what it was like. (Not that much different than playing any regular gig, IMO. Mind you, these weren't "living legends.")

To look forward,

* I'd like to take up and master playing an EWI (electronic wind instrument). I've played one in the distant past. Definitely didn't master.
* I also want to work more on my website(s) and try to make them more helpful for folks beyond, "How much is my horn worth?" I'm thinking about it.
* I'd like to play some unique/rare/antique horns that I could actually play. Saxophones, mainly. I'd like to try an A. Sax bari and, on the other end, one of those new Yani WO baris.
* I'd like to go down to the Smithsonian and Library of Congress for a couple days and see if I can have a nice look at their musical instrument collections.
* I'd like to meet Ed, Jim and Helen in person, someday!

Some excellent musical bucket list ideas Pete. I hope they come to fruition for you. I'm reminded of a joke told by Jerry Seinfeld, he said he used to worry all the time about his bucket list till he changed the "B" to an "F", and now he doesn't need to worry anymore. :)

Mmm....Interesting list Pete. I'm flattered to be on your list. I would like to meet you in person as well sometime. If you come this way, then you could also partially cross off #3 from your list. Some of my vintage & antique babies would probably qualify wouldn't they? Don't forget, I've got that darn near minty 1886 Buffet bari that you didn't discourage me from buying. :emoji_rage: I'll be using it (for display only though, I'm not brave enough to play it) at my show next month at the art gallery.

My tech also gave me a soprano with a similar key structure a few months ago. It's some weird brand neither he and I had ever seen before. It's likely chromed, not plated. He joked it might be from India. He inherited it when he moved his repair business into the existing repair shop he bought. I have been meaning to take a few pics of the straight soprano and send them to you to see if you recognize it, or the badge attached to it.

As for my musical bucket list, I admit I don't have one. I've been thinking about it since I saw this thread first yesterday, and like you, I've done a lot of stuff already in my life. I think the one thing I would put on my list is to see Benedikt Eppelsheim's shop in Munich, and hopefully be able try out some of his larger horns--if he had any finished and not shipped out yet.

Luv bucket lists and having knocked off most of my items, it is high time I update the list. Pete, when you visit Helen you might consider flying into Seattle, doing a ton o' music stuff here, and then driving a rental car to visit Helen just across the border.

This last year I sat in with five new big bands, visited NAMM, and my son captured a piano piece I wrote on paper. Both my kids played the song growing up and have it memorized.

This year I have one goal to get a world-renowned saxophonist to sit in with my band. Darren Motamity is the most famous performer to sit in so far. Working with Quinn I have secured his promise to let Kenny G play his Conn-o-sax if he plays with my Microsoft Jumpin' Jive Orchestra. Hey, last I knew, he lives in Bellingham.

I would be interested in hearing other bucket lists from those in our community. I have other non-music bucket-list items but that's just boring stuff like writing my autobiography and taking Suzy to Hawaii.

Non-musical ones for me include driving the Pacific Coast Highway and the raised highway over the water in Florida. (I think those are US 1 and 101, respectively.) I'd want to do it in a luxury convertible. My 2005 Mustang convertible, which I no longer own, was a fun little car, but not exactly a paragon of comfort.

Back
Top Bottom