My Patricola is on it's way

It plays like heaven

Hi All,

It's wonderful. It's beautiful, It plays easier than my Buffet R13 and plus the sound is soooooo good. I went up to Dillion Music to get a new Ligature and to show off the Clarinet. Elaine from Dillion loved it as well.

Over the weekend I'm going to record with it. I'm going to pick an Étude record it with the Buffet and then 2 recordings of the Patricola with the different barrels on it.

There is definatly a difference in sound with the barrels. Angelo Patricola also said, and it's in the instructions, to oil the Clarinet with Almond Oil once a month. And then when I told Elaine at Dillion she and the repair person suggested (they use Olive Oil) that I put Waxed paper on the pads before putting the oil in the horn. Makes sense to me.

It's funny that when I first picked it up this morning and played it, I knew immediatly that I love it. I only wish I had a mouthpiece the color of the Clarinet but the Crystal one works fine.

Thanks,
Steve

Extra Keys

I just visited the Patricola web-site. I read the advice posted there about allowing a new clarinet to sit in its case for 24 to 48 hours to acclimate itself to the location. No comment - that's already been discussed.

I see where they had three different Bb models - the 2, 4, and 5. The 4 had the most keywork, the 2 had the least amount of keying. Does anyone know the advantage to any of that?

My Buffet RC Prestige has an alternate Eb/Gb (or is it Gb/Eb?) which I've found very useful, but the additional ring shown on Patricola's 4 and 5, and the extra spatula for the right-hand pinky on the 4 makes me curious. DAVE

Hi Dave,

I belive one of the keys (According to Dillion) might be an alternative G#. I will write to Angelo and ask him. I also considered it but I barely had the funds for the CL2. Ask Patricola to send you a catalogue. It's printed on heavy stock and gives you a good idea of what they look like. You can also download the catalogue in PDF format

Thanks,

Steve

or Israel in summer which has HUMIDITY.
Actaully this is wrong. Eventhough Israel is small, there are HUGE differences in humidity between different cities. Near the sea it's very high humidity in the summer, hard to tolerate to be honest. But in my city, it's completely different and actually not humid most of the year, and in the winter it's very dry. In the summer it can also be very dry sometimes with sudden changes to humid and back.

I see where they had three different Bb models - the 2, 4, and 5. The 4 had the most keywork, the 2 had the least amount of keying. Does anyone know the advantage to any of that?
These extra keys give a few more options for fingerings. They are only an advantage if those extra fingerings are an advantage to you. There's no such thing as a Gb/Eb key, but there is a Ab/Eb, which is the exra key for the left pinky (probably what you meant that your RC has). The third ring is basically an articulated C#/G#. This is like a saxophone, where you can hold the right pinky G# key while playing lower notes with right hand fingers. The extra right pinky key is range to low Eb, extra semi tone to usual clarinets. For me all three extra keys would be a disadvantage, but you might like them.

Last edited:
Angelo Patricola also said, and it's in the instructions, to oil the Clarinet with Almond Oil once a month. And then when I told Elaine at Dillion she and the repair person suggested (they use Olive Oil) that I put Waxed paper on the pads before putting the oil in the horn. Makes sense to me.
Oiling the bore once a month is probably overkill. Actually most cooking oils can get rancid, so using them a lot is probably not a great idea. I personally like the bore from Doctor. According to Doctor, he adds especailly strong anti oxidants. I believe him. I'm wondering if Patricola have heard about this bore oil.

Yes, you don't want oil on the pads. Especailly cooking oil which can eventually become sticky. But IME it's totally unecessary to oil the clarinet so often.....

I only wish I had a mouthpiece the color of the Clarinet but the Crystal one works fine.
Vandoren makes (or at least used to make) a brown hard rubber mouthpiece. It's the same as their regular model, excpet the material is a bit of a soptty brown (sorry I can't really describe it very good). It is much more similar to rosewood than regular rubber mouthpiece. Maybe you can try to find one of those mouthpieces. Another option is something like a Pomarico wood mouthpiece. They are not so dark like rubber mouthpieces.

It's funny that when I first picked it up this morning and played it, I knew immediatly that I love it.
Actually, that's one of the most important things in a clarinet. Consistency of tone, intonation, keys, etc. etc. are all very important. But IMO after all that, there is anotehr factor, emotional one, where you just feel it is the right instrument when you play it! :)

Nitai: Thanks for your post.

My Buffet RC Prestige has an additional lever for the left pinky that operates an alternate Eb (above the break). Below the break, it is G# (or Ab - take your choice). I'm sorry if I wrote those notes incorrectly. I think one of the Patricola models has a similar additional lever, but it was difficult to see in the photos.

When I was in Israel during the summer of 1982 (or was it '83? . . . the year they invaded Lebannon), Tel Aviv was VERY humid. The humidity did drop off when we were in Jerusalem, but compared to SoCal, it was HUMID. It was also a bit cooler at Jerusalem's higher elevation. Of course one can't pin down a country's weather by being there for ten days.

I think I understand the third ring on the one model now . . . under the left hand's third finger. Thanks for that.

Steve: I have a catalog for Patricola clarinets, obtained at the '08 NAMM Show. I looked at it closely last night. It is much easier to view than a web-site page. I get it now . . . the model differences. I think you made a good chopice with the #2 model. It appears to have all the features necessary (and comparable to other mainline pro models). It would be my choice if I bought one.

The two barrels differ in length, as well, according to the brochure. I'd be interested in their measurements (length) in millimeters if you can do that. Thanks! DAVE

Additional Lever

Hi Dave,

Although it will get better I'm finding the Eb alternate is getting in my way. It's very weird. After a few weeks with it I don't think it will hamper me.

I'll get the measurements and some images of the axe as well as the recording of the instrument with each barrel and the Buffet R13. Even I am waiting to hear any differences.

Steve

Nitai: Thanks for your post.

My Buffet RC Prestige has an additional lever for the left pinky that operates an alternate Eb (above the break). Below the break, it is G# (or Ab - take your choice). I'm sorry if I wrote those notes incorrectly. I think one of the Patricola models has a similar additional lever, but it was difficult to see in the photos.

When I was in Israel during the summer of 1982 (or was it '83? . . . the year they invaded Lebannon), Tel Aviv was VERY humid. The humidity did drop off when we were in Jerusalem, but compared to SoCal, it was HUMID. It was also a bit cooler at Jerusalem's higher elevation. Of course one can't pin down a country's weather by being there for ten days.

I think I understand the third ring on the one model now . . . under the left hand's third finger. Thanks for that.

Steve: I have a catalog for Patricola clarinets, obtained at the '08 NAMM Show. I looked at it closely last night. It is much easier to view than a web-site page. I get it now . . . the model differences. I think you made a good chopice with the #2 model. It appears to have all the features necessary (and comparable to other mainline pro models). It would be my choice if I bought one.

The two barrels differ in length, as well, according to the brochure. I'd be interested in their measurements (length) in millimeters if you can do that. Thanks! DAVE

Recording of my patricola

Hi All,

OK, I recorded 3 versions of a few measures of a Rose Étude. They are of the Buffett and the Patricola. The Patricola has 2. One with B3.65 and the other with B2,66. It’s interesting that the B2.66 barrel has a ‘1’ super imposed upon the B2. I wonder why. I’m going to ask Patricola about that.

So here are the links. Please realize that until about 1 month or more ago I had not played the clarinet in 40 years so be kind to the playing. My embouchure is weak to say the least.

http://www.lewisobservatory.com/Track1.mp3
http://www.lewisobservatory.com/Track2.mp3
http://www.lewisobservatory.com/Track3.mp3

Now you'll have to tell me which is which. :)

Steve

Gee, Steve, they all sounded like a . . . CLARINET. This may be a case of the player FEELING some differences that are totally missed by the listener.

If I HAD to pick one over the other, I'd pick track 2 and 3 as sounding a tad more robust in the lower register, but then I may be falling into a trap here. DAVE

Gee, Steve, they all sounded like a . . . CLARINET. This may be a case of the player FEELING some differences that are totally missed by the listener.

If I HAD to pick one over the other, I'd pick track 2 and 3 as sounding a tad more robust in the lower register, but then I may be falling into a trap here. DAVE

Hi Dave,

This isn't a trap at all. It's two fine clarinets that we're comparing the sound. Technically both are great. The Patricola has the alternate Eb key which is, right now, in my way but soon to be a great addition. I'll post the order in another day.

I don't want people to say "I thought so!"

Steve

The differences are small, but they are easier to notice when listening only to parts, like the first note, etc.

I thought 1 was best mostly because of your playing and I also thought most of the range (epseiclaly low notes) were much stronger (not in a volume sense). 2 was only better maybe for the higher notes (like the second note) but overall the sound was much weaker. 3 was more similar to 2 in that sense in the low notes. For this piece, I thought this weaker tone fits better in the second register, but the low notes seemed too unstable. If you can practice to get 2 to the same level of stability as 1 then it has the best potential for this specific piece, where the weaker tone fits better. For different music the choice might be very different, and there is a lot of music that I would choose 1 as best to fit.

Obviously it's absurd and unecessary to need a different clarinet or barrel for every different music, so it's possible to have more options with one clarinet. Just something for practice.

Last edited:
The Three examples

Hi All,

Well here is the scoop. Track 1 and Track 2 is the Patricola and track 3 is the Buffet. The Track 1 is the Patricola with the larger barrel which is supposed to be a darker sound which I believe it is. Track 2 is the Patricola with the shorter barrel. And Track 3 is the Buffet

I thank you for all your comments and, it helped me to decide that I want to keep the Patricola. It plays technically better than the Buffet and I believe with the longer barrel it sounds better which is very subjective.

Thanks again for your input,

Steve

http://www.lewisobservatory.com/Track1.mp3
http://www.lewisobservatory.com/Track2.mp3
http://www.lewisobservatory.com/Track3.mp3

Back
Top Bottom