Mystery key on my Siegfried Wolfram Migma

Hello, everyone,

Long-time reader, first-time poster. Got a question I haven't been able to find an answer to and I'd bet my right arm one of you will know.

There's a key right in front of the topmost RH inline keys on my newly-acquired Migma tenor, and I don't know what the heck it's for. It opens a key up high on the horn, but it's definitely not high f#-related.

Photos attached.

migma05.JPGmigma04.JPG

I see that same key on every Migma photo I've seen, but not on other German makes.

Thanks!

It looks a lot like the trill D on my Hohner tenor. Play a C and open this key, should give you a nice clear D.

Altissimo D# trill.

Oh. Sorry I didn't include this: if you've got more pics, please post. I've got a few, but more is always better.

BTW, Migma is the name of an association of Germanic manufacturers' clearing house, not a model name. They do have a modern website. Siegfried Wolfram also has a modern website. Neither have had saxophones for quite awhile.

I think I win the thread if I say that everyone's right :p.

The altissimo D# trill key was en vogue for awhile on European saxophones, primarily in the 1920s - 1930s. Germanic horns are a little different, in any case, and I wouldn't put it past any Germanic manufacturer to slip in a horn with an alternate altissimo D, although I've not heard of one. 'Course, the reason an altissimo D# trill key "makes sense" is because of the corresponding fork Eb fingering in the lower octaves, i.e. xxx | xox. However I can also say that I never really used the fork Eb fingering on any of the half dozen or so horns I owned that had this option. G# trill? I used that a couple times and it was very useful for that.

Actually, if that key is like most on German horns of the era, it is a C/D trill key. It will not only play D, but a C as well. Try playing a B, and add the key. Do you get a C?

I'm getting my German horns mixed up ATM, because my Hammerschmidt, Hohner, & Keilwerth all work slightly differently. I'd have to pull each out, and give them a try. Too many horns. Too little time. :emoji_rage:

Back
Top Bottom