Need help - 2 Bass clarinets

At the end of the day it will make a very nice Christmas gift for my son's fiancé who loves the Bass Clarinet and plays very well (state awards, scholarships, etc..) but has never been able to afford to buy and own her own instrument. Thank you again everyone, you have helped me immensely make some decisions and choices this past weekend. BTW - Has anyone heard of the Vintage Clarinet Doctor, Jeremy Soule? He is the person dong the restoration. Thanks

Other than my mom with my first instrument, no one has ever bought me a music instrument. Much like a pet, that can be a very personal choice that I want to make for myself. Every instrument I bought to save money, and I do mean every one, has not worked out. I would be dollars ahead if I'd just bought what I really wanted first. Tread carefully. Good luck.

..... Much like a pet, that can be a very personal choice that I want to make for myself. Every instrument I bought to save money, and I do mean every one, has not worked out. I would be dollars ahead if I'd just bought what I really wanted first. Tread carefully. Good luck.

Gandalfe is absolutely correct. Instruments are VERY personal choices--especially for accomplished players.

As the owner of +/- 40 vintage horns in total (saxophones and clarinets), I can tell you with 100% certainty that no 2 play and sound the same. Prior to COVID I would routinely have others over to my studio and they would play some of vintage horn collection. It was very rare when different players chose the same horn as their favourite.

My bass clarinet is a late 50s German-made, hard rubber one. I choose hard rubber for a reason. It was made my Richard Keilwerth. I could have had the same horn made in wood, but I picked hard rubber for a variety of reasons.

My point is simply this: When people reach a certain level of competence in their playing, they have certain needs/expectations out of their instruments. They know what they like, and what they don't. It can be as obvious as tone, or as simple as right thumb hook placement.

If you haven't yet committed to buying it, perhaps a hand-written gift certificate to take her shopping for one might be nice as well.

Back
Top Bottom