New 22" Flat Panel Monitor

Monitors have really come down in price. I should buy one for my wife.

Congrats. I love mine. I got a 21" (at least I think that's what it is) couple of years ago with my new Dell, and now, when I'm looking at some else's computer with a smaller screen, I find that I get frustrated having to either look at a smaller screen, or scroll from side to side. You'll be spoilt in no time!

I have two 22" LCD widescreens at home: one is 1080p. I'd recommend the 1080p if you happen to watch videos on your PC.

Here's another note: most LCD flat panels are 4-bit. This means that they DITHER ("smudge") colors to get to your "millions" of colors. An 8-bit monitor, which is more "crisp", costs more. (Saxhound's Acer's an 8 bit.)

On my desk, at work, I have a 19" Dell 1905 monitor that's 4-bit and a 19" Dell 1905 FPV that's 8-bit. I can tell the difference. Difference in price was a couple hundred $, IIRC.

Oh. Also note if you have an ancient video card, it might not support widescreen. My mother-in-law had this problem. Solved by buying the cheapest new video card -- which was about $20.

I use a 22 inch monitor, and I love it.

My wife is set up with two monitors, a regular 19" LCD that came with her computer, and a 22" widescreen. When she writes, she uses the smaller screen for her word processor, and uses the widescreen to read and quote her references. She used to have to print out all of the reference articles. She really loves having the dual screen.

Back
Top Bottom