Oboe model number and age?

Mostly for insurance purposes (partially curiosity) I'm trying to track down the model number and age of an oboe I've gotten. I've tried googling for a serial number look up or company information and can't find either. The case that it's in is marked Linton USA and the serial number is NS6217. Can someone help, even if it's just the company information or a serial number lookup site?

* You can easily buy a different case, so identifying an instrument by whatever's printed on the case isn't a good idea.
* Help US to Help YOU. Definitely check for a country of origin, too.

Provided you can determine that you do have a Linton ...
* Most of the time, Linton = Orsi. Their website is https://orsiwind.wixsite.com/wind-instruments. Peter Hurd says that most US-stamped Lintons are junk.
* Sometimes, Linton = Malerne. Peter Hurd says that most Malerne-made oboes are junk. I'm pretty sure that Malerne is out of business.

* Note that you may have an OK-ish horn and repairing it to the best working condition is considerably cheaper than buying a new oboe. If you're looking to become an oboe player, have your instructor play on it a bit.
* Note that I've mentioned Peter Hurd three times. I'm not really very good at identifying oboes, but he is and he's been the person I go to if I have questions about any double-reed instruments.

Back
Top Bottom