Odd key on an Evette-Schaeffer C melody

There is a pad sealing on top of the one pad immediately above the extra keywork. It's under the finger touch piece, on top of the large pad for the third finger, right hand.

There is a pad sealing on top of the one pad immediately above the extra keywork. It's under the finger touch piece, on top of the large pad for the third finger, right hand.

That's a D/Eb trill. You trill the ring finger, rather than the middle finger, like old Conns and Bueschers.

It's part of the Apogee System keywork. Keys have already been identified, so I don't need to go there :), although it's really a fork low Eb. It's just an interesting placement of the vent.

More pics, original ads, etc. at http://saxpics.com/buffet/Apogee.htm

I thing SideC is right... My question is... How does it work? It looks weird. The Eb key is normal though.:confused:
You finger it as you would a low C. See the ad on my old website.

It's part of the Apogee System keywork. Keys have already been identified, so I don't need to go there :), although it's really a fork low Eb. It's just an interesting placement of the vent.

More pics, original ads, etc. at http://saxpics.com/buffet/Apogee.htm

I took a look at those pics...see the way the mechanism is? You couldn't use fork Eb.

According to the Apogee ad, the RH little finger plays B with the extra key!

So I have to ask Merlin, is this your horn? Or one you are thinking of buying?

I took a look at those pics...see the way the mechanism is? You couldn't use fork Eb.
The curved soprano I had was an Evette-Schaeffer System horn: it had interesting alternate C#/B/Bb keys "above" the low E & D keys and has similarities to the Apogee System.

I think I wasn't clear enough in my original post.

I wouldn't call that a low Eb trill, at least in the sense of the dedicated G# trill.

When you depress 123 | 1 and then the "pearl" that's attached to the D key, that should sound an Eb. It's not the traditional forked fingering of 123 | 13, but it's close and can be fingered as such (if you see the ad on the E&S System page, it describes it in better detail: Buffet wants you to finger the "forked" Eb 123 | 12, with your middle finger on the little "pearl" I mentioned).

And it's still an Eb vent in an odd location, not like on most horns, which would have been on/near the bow on the left side (as you're playing).

Merlin said:
According to the Apogee ad, the RH little finger plays B with the extra key!
Quite correct. Take a look at the patent. For a long time I would have thought, "Gee. They're describing the Evette-Schaeffer System keywork and left the extra keys off the drawing."

Reading from the patent, you press "6" (low C) and "5" (the funky C#) with your RH little finger for a low B.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom