OK, Identify THIS One

I have no idea, but in the spirit of collective working here is a list of Italian makes I have found in searches

Alexandre
Orsi
Grassi
Borgani
Rampone and Cazzani
Evette marked "Made in Italy"
LaMonte
Benetone
Werner
Beverly
? Martin Busine

Just for the record, there's one Mario Corso as well. Never heard of them till a few days ago...

Which reminds me that Italians are also fond of acronyms. This is historic -- SPQR, for example -- FIAT is actually an acronym. It also just happens to be a Latin word for "let there be."

And Fiat stands for....

Fix It Again 'Toni or
Fails At All Times

I found another Desidera. Took awhile. Take a peek. The original post was on SOTW. This horn's not that attractive and I'm unsure if the nickel plating on the keywork is original.

Oh. Dusting off my knowledge of Latin endings, I believe "Desidera & Figli" is something like "Desidera and Children."

while I was researching other things I came across this old thread.

Desidera & Figli means Desidera and sons.

Hardly strange that Desidera looks distinctly ( aside for the pants guard) as many German and Bohemian saxophones did because Desidera was, in fact, a spin off of the Stowasser factory a company.

*snip* I've done a BIT more research on this model and there's a suggestion on SOTW that maybe, perhaps Desidera "took over" WA Stowasser (reference linky). Helen has mentioned Scott Robinson has said his bass sax is from "WA Stowasser, Verona" (reference linky). All the other mentions I've seen about WA Stowasser = Graslitz (reference linky from someone who's not Helen or me, Edinburgh University).

*snip* However, please do again note that I've not seen anything authoritative that specifically confirms that Desidera took over Stowasser

Hardly strange that Desidera looks distinctly ( aside for the pants guard) as many German and Bohemian saxophones did because Desidera was, in fact, a spin off of the Stowasser factory a company.
I did a quick Google and I found a very nice PDF -- with pictures! -- on Italian saxophones. The article says, "... While in Verona the 'Leonildo Desidera e Figli' firm increasingly copied the Stowasser design, particularly for its baritones," (page 62).

milandro, do you have any documentation that says that Desidera was a "spin off" of Stowasser? You know more about Italian horns than I do.

Back
Top Bottom