Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Playing the Nuvo JSax

As far as I can tell, the Vibratosax tenor is only available in Signapore. It's a production instrument, at least, and there's an all white one and a clear one. Vibratosax also has a curved soprano prototype (I dunno why they'd do a curved one). Check out their Facebook page! Thanks for sharing, Helen. The Vibratosax is one of the many instruments I look at and say, "Cool. I'd like to try one, someday, but I don't want to buy one."

The Vibratosaxes (Vibrato Saxes?) were supposed to be lower-cost and low-weight instruments. They've definitely succeeded on the "weight" part. The price part? Well, the altos are around to $500. There are a lot of used Yamaha 23s around that price. True, the Yamaha will probably need repair, but the horn will last for years. The Vibratosax? Hope you don't drop it!

All that being said, if it gets you more into music, I'm really kinda OK with that.

I played a Vibrato sax that Quinn had. That too was a very unsatisfying experience. I mean, if you have nothing but time and want to work on these kind of experiments, that's cool. But I need to spend more time on my (soprillo, sopranino, soprano, alto, tenor, bari, bass sax and clarinets) instruments. There is only so much time in life. And that doesn't include the time I spend on the piano, guitar, uke, bass etc. So much joy in those often called for instruments.

I do have what I call toy instruments that don't work in most band/ensemble settings. But they are mostly for display.

Goofus.jpg

As far as I can tell, the Vibratosax tenor is only available in Signapore.
Now available on German eBay for 850 Euros. That's $967 US. Slightly more than one of the new Kessler house-brand horns and around the price of a used Yamaha student to intermediate horn on eBay, so I'm now sure that this is the market they're trying to compete in.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Huh... Interesting. IIRC, the original concept was to have these come as a DIY kit. Has this been completely abandoned? The reason I remember this is b/c my original thought when I got the press release from Vibrato in my email Inbox was: Wow, the equivalent of an Ikea saxophone... right down to the directions... itd_3d_ani_w60_smiles_059.gif

Vibrato was supposed to send me one of their horns so that I could write about them, but like so often happens in my life, I got sidetracked, and never got the article researched yet, and haven't followed up with them. I wonder if I could get them to send me a tenor to review?

That'd be cool. Or they could send me one :D.

As far as I can tell, the only real "DIY" part of these horns is the pads. They're easily replaceable and have a bunch of different colors. I think that if you have a minor break, they may send a kit to fix that one thing, but I'm pretty sure that I read that if the horn's under warranty, they just ship you a new body.

For some reason, the bell lip on the tenor is removable.

Back
Top Bottom