Plumber's Nightmare

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
Interesting. If he gets the holes in the right places, the lower register should sound OK. Overblown notes will be outtawhack for sure. The 90 degree bend is of a very small radius, which have to be compensated for.

Well, other than two broken or covert links pertaining to the French bassoon, all I see there is someone with a Unimat lathe, a limited budget, some love for the French bassoon, and way too much time on his hands. Spending a couple of months fiddling around with his imported supply of PVC tubing (don't they sell this in metric sizes over across the pond?) may lead to some results that will make musical sounds, but it's sure a lot of work for a limited result.

I've noticed this "ever larger clarinet" fixation in the past. Perhaps it's some sort of fixation on long objects that is the cause of all the trouble.

Mind you, I see a point in the very large clarinets in the right setting. However, it's a much more limited role than those that love them envision for themselves. Too much of anything (even the bass clarinet) is seldom a good thing.

Sure would have liked to be able to follow those links, though...

I wouldn't mind playing more contrabass clarinet if I didn't have to carry it and a stool around whenever I play one. Revolving doors and small elevators are such a joy when entering venues carrying one. Then there is to whole too long to fit in my MG business..

For at least the last thirty years, I have not bought a car without taking my baritone case to the dealership first, thus to determine if my biggest horn will fit. It always causes quite a stir when I show up with it for the "fit test".

Our current "runabout" car is a smart forTwo Passion coupé, cute as a bug and a real high mileage vehicle. The baritone, bass clarinet, double clarinet case, horn stand, snack/supper cooler and Rock 'n' Roller cart all fit just fine with the passenger seat folded forward. My fellow musicians are always floored when I show up with it and unload all of the above.

Passion coupe

Terry, that sounds like the woodwind player's equivalent of a circus clown car. I imagine it must be quite a sight seeing all of that equipment spill out of such a small car!

It all fits, and with lots of room to spare. Of course, with the passenger seat down, it's a one-seat car. But, it does the job and is cheap to run and maintain - we both love it.

Back
Top Bottom