Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Post your pit setups

Merlin

Content Expert/Moderator
Staff member
CE/Moderator
There's plenty of gear threads...but people rarely post pics of their doubling show setups.

I'll get things rolling with a few shots.

First up is my setup from Cabaret at the Stratford Shakespeare Festival this summer. I was playing Reed 3 which on this version was clarinet/bass clarinet/tenor sax/bass sax.

3022322485_3bea8f20ce_o.jpg

Next up is my setup from A Chorus Line. I'm doing a lot of subbing on the touring production while it's in Toronto. I'm playing Reed 4 - clarinet, contrabass clarinet, flute & bari sax. (There's bassoon on the book as well, but it was cut - $!)

3022322687_3f0e3f80ca_o.jpg

Ooh, padded chairs. :emoji_rage:

Actually, I alway brought my own chair rather than use the plastic ones they usually provided. I had double stand lights too and another spare. Often others in the pit ended up borrowing some of my gear. Always made me gnash my teeth a bit.

Tuner, must have. It is interesting to see how far from in tune we had to get to work the piano sometimes.

Geeze Merlin, that's quite a collection of horns you have. Suddenly I have the urge to work in a Pit again. My collection isn't nearly as impressive (tenor/alto/soprano/clarinet), but it was still fun to double. I miss the cooperative effort it took to pull off productions like this.

I don't miss the early mornings after a club gig, and I certainly don't miss the dancing instructors who felt like making last minute cuts and additions to the music. :emoji_smile:

From Thoroughly Modern Millie

A mix of reed books 1, 2, and 3 of Millie.

3051303286_5d335d5172.jpg

I just got a saxrax which takes a tenor/alto peg and a double peg kit for flute and clarinet. Then I have a hamilton 5 peg stand that can take the remainng pegs, alto flute, piccolo and soprano sax.

The good thing about this setup is that I can use any combination of pegs between the two stands. Any beechler, hamilton or blayman peg will work.

I use K&M stands for bari sax and bass clarinet.

For some reason, I don't usually get calls for shows until spring, and the next one I play will be a reduction of "Music Man" (clarinet, bass clar). Last thing I played was the reed III book of "Nine," so that setup only required clarinet, flute, picc, and alto sax, though it did involve at least a couple terrifying moments on clarinet.

Can I post my big band setup? Last week it involved bari, bass clar, clarinet, flute, and alto flute, and we were playing Kevin Hiatt's book so I got to use everything. :emoji_relaxed: The bandleader was Bob Florence's copyist, so when we play that book I also get to break out the Eb contra. Fun stuff.

Can I post my big band setup? Last week it involved bari, bass clar, clarinet, flute, and alto flute, and we were playing Kevin Hiatt's book so I got to use everything. :emoji_relaxed: The bandleader was Bob Florence's copyist, so when we play that book I also get to break out the Eb contra. Fun stuff.
What, no pics or linkee's to the band site? Geesh... :emoji_relaxed:

What, no pics or linkee's to the band site? Geesh... :emoji_relaxed:

Well, here's a pic from last night...

tues-night-setup.jpg

This is a union rehearsal band that never gigs (so I can't post a website), but plays interesting music and there's a bunch of good players in there who keep me on my toes. The leader is a copyist, and one ostensible reason for our existence is to test-drive things he's working on so he knows nothing is missing and everything makes sense.

If you look really closely at the floor behind the chair, that's Larry's book... or rather, that's book #25B--it's about two inches thick. Right now, he's building book #34. He pulls out a different one each night and we read it down. Could be anything from Holman, to Fedchock, to whomever in that stack. Fun stuff. :cool:

These pics are from back in the day when Suzy and I were part of the Second Story Rep's presentation of 'Anything Goes'. Weird divisions of the books and with some deletions meant I played bari, tenor, and sop while Suzy played alto and clarinet. The sop solo was my favorite part.

The pit was very small and we accessed it by climbing up submarine-type stairs with our instruments in tow. Once we were in our seats, you had to be careful when changing instruments to not hit anyone. I had two soprano saxes damaged during this gig, once my fault and once while I was not there.

Merlin, that almost looks spacious!

What's in the cup left of the water bottle?

Merlin, that almost looks spacious!

What's in the cup left of the water bottle?

It is reasonably spacious this year, as we only have 3 woodwind players instead of the 5 we had last year.

That's coffee in the cup.

Light duty for this gig? Luv these kind of pics. :cool:

It's still a two tripper when you tear down, so not light AFAIC.

I usually leave the bass clarinet and bari on stands; the bassoon lives there when I'm not testing new reeds.

Back
Top Bottom