Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Praise for the Zoom H2

tictactux

Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member
after toying around with my Zoom for a while (mostly to record myself which can be a revealing hence frustrating experience) I took it with my to my Band's spring concert. Pressed record twice, powered off during the intermission, did the same for the second half. No pre-recording, leveling and whatnot, just recorded the whole session out of the box.

The Zoom simply works. And because it is idiot-proof to operate, you're not going to miss some important stuff. Well spent money.

(I am in no way affiliated with that company)

Here are two excerpts; no beautification was done to the .wav files except from properly trimming start and end and converting them to mp3.

http://mvhw.hochstrasser.org/files/01-Snowbird.mp3
http://mvhw.hochstrasser.org/files/09-GummiMambo.mp3

(No, I didn't have a solo)

Gandalfe

Admin and all around good guy.
Staff member
Administrator
Sounds like a fun band to be in. The peeps in my bands who record use the Zoom H4 with great results. The last time we got a recording of a Big Band the Zoom H4 results were betting than the sound man's created with a rig that was way more expensive. We chalked it up to him usually recording rock rather than jazz music.

And here's a tip, when possible, place the video or audio recorder as far from the percussion section as possible. :)

tictactux

Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member
And here's a tip, when possible, place the video or audio recorder as far from the percussion section as possible. :)
...and from the small brass. :emoji_rage:

The Zoom was in the middle, but so was the percussion section, dividing the "big band" from the flute/clarinet section. I don't know if this is meant as some kind of writing on the wall, but I understand why small woodwinds were eliminated from most bands - simply not enough volume!

The only possible place was the "official" microphone stand where I simply velcro-ed the Zoom onto. At the rehearsal two days before I put the Zoom on a chair that was placed in the middle of the then empty room. Way better results, even if the sound files required some normalization afterwards.

saxhound

Staff member
CE/Moderator
I'm also very impressed with the Zoom. We used one last fall to record a big band concert, and ended up with some good tracks for a demo:
http://www.thefalconaires.com/index.html

The setting was a school auditorium, and we put the recorder about 15 rows back from the stage. We had a fairly small audience that day, and seated them all behind the recorder. All it took was a little bit of tweaking and normalizing in Audacity to achieve the final result.

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
Because I thought y'all were talking in code, I Googled.

This is the thing you're talking about, right?

Couldn't agree more.

I recorded our concert band and quality was excellent. By the time I had tweaked it in Audacity (just really selecting some solos that sounded a bit remote and boosting them up) I ended up with a CD that was certainly of listenable quality.

Also, attached to a computer by USB, it is quite a reasonable input mike

Chris