Returning to the clarinet

Hi, I am a young professional and I want to start back playing the clarinet.

I played B-flat Soprano from 6th - 8th grade. I marched 1st Clarinet with the B-flat Soprano and bass clarinet for concert in the 9th grade. That year, the band was a toxic, so I quit.

I'm 30 and want to start playing again. I would like to play bass clarinet good enough to be in my town's community band. Maybe even join a local blue/jazz group.

My question is, should I pick up a clarinet before going to the bass? I am able to afford adult lessons and have the time to practice. I am not able (right now) to buy a bass but I can rent a quality one.

Welcome, Charlie.

I see no compelling reason to re-learn the soprano before the bass - embouchure and breathing / air are somewhat different on either instrument, so you'd only profit from "muscle memory" when playing as the fingerings are vastly identical.

Taking lessons is a good idea. You may want to "study" your teacher's primary instrument, so if you find a nice teacher only playing soprano, consider picking up the soprano first - or find a true bass teacher. (yeah, it's not all that black and white, but you get my idea)

Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom