RIP Gerry Niewood

Without a doubt quite sad.

We'll keep the Niewood family in our thoughts.

My friend Colley Mellet was on that flight. We worked together on a recording project for another friend. We were all neighbors, so we worked at a home studio right here in the neighborhood, no pressure, very relaxed. Colley was a very sweet guy, and had a sweet and gentle style on the guitar which reflected his personalty. I just returned home and heard the terrible message on my answering machine.

A very sad day.

I am saddened by this event. Great losses.:oops:

Gerry Niewood

1972, we were seated with friends at the Montreux Jazz Festival where Chuck Mangione was performing for the first time in Europe (with Gerry, Tony Levin and Stephan Gadd), opposite the Stan Getz Quartet and Ray Bryant. A lovely young lady was clapping, screaming at each of the excellent solos by Gerry Niewood. We chatted with her and it happened to be Gerry's wife or friend. Then Gerry joined us for the rest of the concert; lovely fellow, modest. Condolences to his family.
J

My friend Colley Mellet was on that flight. We worked together on a recording project for another friend. We were all neighbors, so we worked at a home studio right here in the neighborhood, no pressure, very relaxed. Colley was a very sweet guy, and had a sweet and gentle style on the guitar which reflected his personalty. I just returned home and heard the terrible message on my answering machine.

A very sad day.

Just saw his pic on the cover of the NY Times today. I hadn't heard of him before, but certainly had heard of Gerry.

Very sad news.

That's one of the problems with hauling a musical group around by any group means (airplane or bus) - a wrong move somewhere that's out of the hands of the musicians means that you lose two or more folks at once.

University of Indiana at Evansville lost an entire basketball team (the Purple Aces) this way, back in the days when charter meant a DC-3 operating out of less than optimal airports. They still have memorials up to that one.

We have a Tejano star down here who travels around in a custom motor coach throughout the southwest with his grupo. Unfortunately, he both drives the bus and drinks while he is doing it. Last year, he piled the bus up while leaving Houston, just about killed his own fool self and torqued two of the group members in the process. They aren't touring this year...

One also recalls the fate of Richie Valens and "The Big Bopper". (There was also another musician and the pilot involved.) Getting around in a group and getting there fast occasionally has its price.

Received from Adam via Email:

(Please feel free to forward to anyone you may feel would be interested.)

We are all deeply saddened by the loss of Gerry Niewood, Coleman Mellett, all the
passengers and crew on flight 3407, and the poor innocent man who died in his own home.
It is tragic and surreal.

The outpouring of phone calls, emails, text-messages etc is truly overwhelming. All I can
say is, it's too bad Gerry isn't around to witness the impact he made on all of you.

I plan on getting back to all of you personally – but please understand the need to
hunker-down with my family. I'm sure you all understand... There were over 1000 emails
yesterday - the phone rings every minute. The voice-mail boxes full. ...overwhelming.

That said - Thank you for your thoughts, prayers, funny stories/anecdotes… etc. None of
it goes overlooked or unappreciated.

I do not want anyone to feel badly or second guess reaching out - if you haven't heard
back - It's simply b/c I'm trying to deal with the list of wierd things... For example -
trying to get my father's car out of the Airport parking without a claim ticket..? No one
thinks they will have to drive through 2 parking lots full of at least 4000 cars looking
for their Dad's car...

This is all so hard to process – lots of pieces to pick up.

The memorial service is being planned (in addition a separate performance with music) –
although nothing finalized as yet. News will go out as soon as we know more.

Thank you all for your support.

Sincerely on behalf of the whole Niewood family...

(Please feel free to forward to anyone you may feel would be interested.)

-Adam Niewood  New York, NY USA

www.niewood.com

Adam Niewood & his Rabble Rousers

Back
Top Bottom