Sax Mouthpiece Museum

I haven't looked at the site in quite some time. It's great to see the additions. What a great resource for sax players. GAS will ensue.

Maybe someone with some computer knowledge can help me out, but my computer performance gets VERY choppy whenever I visit the Mouthpiece Museum website. It's been an issue since that website started getting loaded up with pictures (some of which I contributed!)

It will load a page of pictures and then it's like quicksand - the more I move around the site, the more my computer slows down and my hard drive grinds and grinds and grinds.

Unfortunate, as I really would like to spend more time there.

My experience is similar .

After scrolling to see three or so mpcs.,
the page freezes and navigating the page becomes impossible.

I have to shut my computer off
because everything else freezes as well.

I wonder, am I missing something?

Last edited:
I haven't had any problems. I think it is a great and sober site. I sent the information about Jessen mouthpieces and Stephan checked it independently before posting it. It is obviously work in progress but where else can you go and find such an extensive list of custom made mouthpieces, including many in current production.

It's probably not your computer. It's probably your browser vs how the website is built. I see the same thing with Internet Explorer on this and other sites that have lots of pictures. View those same pages in Firefox, and the problem goes away.

That site is based on an iWeb design like mine is. iWeb is great for putting up and keeping current a webspace fast and easy. That said, the more stuff like photos, text boxes, and media you put layered on any one page, the more issues can arise with some browsers (IE mostly). You have to be careful how you organized everything. I can see by the way some of the pages load there are some changes he could make for a more reliable and user friendly experience. Also, he should also update the site the latest iWeb version if he has not done so yet. There are lots bug fixes incorporated in the latest version that the site does not take advantage of.

It's a great resource. Hopefully it's gets better over time.

No Doc Tenneys on the site. I'd send pics of mine, but it's too crappy looking and the markings aren't clear.

Al is totally correct with regards to the browser issue. I have Internet Explorer 7 (my personal favorite), Firefox, and Safari browsers all installed in my machine, and experience the same problem you describe only with Internet Explorer (IE). The mouthpiece museum crashes my machine every time I visit it with IE. So the solution to the problem is simple: just download (if you don't already have one) & use another browser.

The site is a valuable resource tool, it would be a shame to not be able to use it, because of IE issues.

I hope that when IE8 is released, that this particular problem will have been addressed. I am to the point that I'm using Safari now more and more.

My experience is similar .

After scrolling to see three or so mpcs.,
the page freezes and navigating the page becomes impossible.

I have to shut my computer off
because everything else freezes as well.

I wonder, am I missing something?
It may be your internet connection.

I decided to pay 'em a visit and I had no problem. However, I get download speeds of 2mb/sec.

It may be your internet connection.

I decided to pay 'em a visit and I had no problem. However, I get download speeds of 2mb/sec.
Verizon FiOS and today it's clocking 20 mb/sec down and 4 mb/sec up. Life is good and it makes slow net experiences pretty much a thang of the past. :cool:

So from what both you 2 are saying, this leads me to believe that this is then a combo issue between internet connectivity speed, and the browser. IE just needs a faster connection speed then either Firefox or Safari, since neither of them has problems.

I just checked my connection speed. I have the fastest service the Telus provides. My download was 5180 kb/s and 808 kb/s up. I guess that's just too slow for IE and the Mouthpiece Museum.

We don't have nearly the choices for ISPs here in Canada that you have in the States. Also, our ISPs tend to be somewhat slower. But still, there are lots of people all over the world that don't have access to fast internet, or may be lucky just to have dial up connections. I wonder what they use to browse the 'Net? Really old versions of browsers I guess.

I doubt very much that the jerky scrolling is a problem with internet connection speed. Once the pictures are loaded and visible, they are stored in a cache and do not need to be reloaded from the website. I think it is simply inefficient rendering code in IE.

Setting the cache size to the maximum does not change the symptom.

Last edited:
This is strange. I saved the first page to my hard drive. It displays the pictures and scrolls smoothly. Thinking my cache might be full, I deleted all the files in it and went back to the online website. It scrolls jerkily. Looking at the page's html code, I don't see anything unusual. But there's something about it that really slows IE down.

One more thing to try.

Just to make sure it wasn't the server, I uploaded the page and its pictures to my server and tested it. It is worse with IE and runs fine with Firefox.

Based on what I've seen with this and other websites, I now believe that IE has a problem dealing with pages that have a lot of stacked, adjacent images when those images are controlled by CSS code in the html and when the code tells the browser to change the height and width of the images. It's a bug in IE.

And, for what it's worth, the problem persists in the beta version of Internet Explorer 8.

Just to make sure it wasn't the server, I uploaded the page and its pictures to my server and tested it. It is worse with IE and runs fine with Firefox.

Based on what I've seen with this and other websites, I now believe that IE has a problem dealing with pages that have a lot of stacked, adjacent images when those images are controlled by CSS code in the html and when the code tells the browser to change the height and width of the images. It's a bug in IE.

No it's not a bug. IE and FF in fact load different pages, with different stylesheets and different javascript applets. The culprit is the applet that paints the nifty frames with shadows around the pictures.
I used wget to download the whole page and gave it IE to eat. It popped out a warning that active content were blocked, and the page behaved normally. If I enabled the blocked content, the behaviour came back. (and the memory consumption skyrocketed to some 600M)
I'd say it's a bad javascript or something like that which only gets downloaded for non-firefox and non-chrome browsers.

Those several scripts the page loads are really ugly, but I was able to look through them and figure out some of what they do.

IE does not implement Javascript very efficiently, particularly when the script is not embedded in the page, and that page uses a lot of very large external scripts. The other browsers use the same scripts, but each script senses which browser it is and changes its behaviour accordingly.

The thing is, the way that page is built, all the scripts have been called once the page is loaded. There are no function calls based on events after that (that I saw), and the page should scroll properly. The scripts shouldn't be slowing down anything after that. I still think it's an IE bug. Someone else might call it a feature.

This is getting kind of far afield for the majority of members here. We can take it to PM if you'd rather.

Back
Top Bottom