Selmer Bundy Bass Clarinet

Serial's 16842, for the folks that missed that pic. It might not help: I couldn't quickly find a Bundy bass clarinet serial number chart. Although a serial number might not make any real difference, anyhow. It's a student horn and most people don't really care that much about how old a student horn is.

There have been a lot of Bundy bass clarinets sold on eBay. They range in price from $1100 for a fully restored plastic horn that looks a bit newer than yours, to around $250 for horns that are completely intact (i.e. all the parts are there and there's no major damage), but unplayable. This is also regardless of whether you have a very old wooden Bundy or a newer plastic one. (And, interestingly to me, I saw a Bundy stamped "Made in China.") This is probably the best example of, "Condition is key." You do have the floor peg, which is a plus. The stencil on the case screams, "Former school/community band instrument," which generally means "beater."

It's possible you could take this horn in to a woodwind shop and get a quote for how much it'd cost to get this horn in playing condition. Note that in your ad -- take a pic of the repair receipt or something -- and take some nicer pics. You could then list the horn for, say, $275 and see what happens.

Pete beat me to it. Couldn't find a serial # chart, but the earliest production date for these is 1948. Based on number - maybe 1970's or 1980's, but just a guess. Maybe Steve Sklar can pin it down closer.

Those are some BIG pictures! It's hard to tell condition because of the pixellization. Pretty sure I saw some very raggedy pads and a lot of crud on the keywork, but I didn't see any serious body damage. At a minimum, I'd guess you are looking at no less than $300 for a basic overhaul for a horn that would sell for no more than $600 in great condition.

Here are some current e-bay "wish" prices.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...TRS0&_nkw=selmer+bundy+bass+clarinet&_sacat=0

Thank you guys! I didn't realize the pics would be so large....I tried to make them smaller. Nah, wasn't a band horn...and really never played. It was handed down to a nephew from an uncle who dabbled and the nephew was so proud he stenciled his name on the case. I just cleaned off all kinds of dust and spiderwebs. It is playable as my friend tried it out, but that certainly doesn't mean it doesn't need an overhaul. So, it's a Bundy or a Selmer Bundy? Also, please forgive my ignorance, but what is a student horn? What is this one made of? Like I said, I know nothing....

Also, I have a friend who is thinking of buying a bass saxophone...he's always wanted one. He has a couple of others...alto and soprano....something like that...lol I'll send him the links to this site...I'm sure he'll be interested. Thanks again!

> Nah, wasn't a band horn...and really never played.
The wear on the keywork says it was played a lot. Hmm. The album's gone, so I can't prove my point, but whatever.

Yes, it's a Selmer Bundy. Note that there is a difference between Selmer Paris and Selmer USA, which made the Bundy horns. Selmer Paris made the high-end professional horns. Selmer USA more-or-less didn't. They're also the distributor for Selmer Paris instruments in the US.

The definition of "professional" usually means, "The best horn a particular company produced at a particular time that was aimed at the professional player." So, speaking very generally -- and switching to saxophone, because I know more sax models -- a Selmer Mark VI saxophone from the 1950s was a professional model. The current Selmer Super 80 Serie II and III are professional models. However, note that this doesn't mean that the Mark VI is, in some way, less professional because of its age. Additionally, that also doesn't mean that a Mark VI is better than, say, an SML Gold Medal sax or vice-versa. They're just different pro models. Also, while Selmer wants you to believe that the Super 80 Serie II and III are better than the Mark VI, a lot of folks say that the VI wasn't only better, it was the best horn ever made. Well, in alto and tenor forms, at least.

In recent years, some companies have offered several professional models. Yamaha, for instance, has the 62, 82Z, and 875. They're all aimed at the professional market and all are high quality and pros play them, but they're all made a bit differently. As another example, Buffet has about a half-dozen clarinet models that they call "professional."

A lot of companies have a professional model, an intermediate model, and a student model. A student model is generally cheap -- or cheaper -- in comparison to a pro model and isn't made with as much attention as the pro models. Intermediate models vary considerably, but they usually have some components/feature of the pro models and some components/features that are cheaper. As an example, the Yamaha baritone saxophones, the YBS-62 pro and the YBS-52 intermediate horns, look extremely similar, but the 62 (now) has a different brass alloy, a one piece bell, real mother of pearl inlay, a better neck, and a different color lacquer. It's also about 2x as much as the intermediate model, but if you're advanced enough to consider the pro model, you can play the two and tell that the 62 is really a better horn (FWIW, for me, the difference in quality wasn't worth the difference in price). Also note that, as before, one company's student horn can easily be better than another company's professional model.

Anyhow, Bundy was probably the biggest name in student instruments until Yamaha came along. While it's true that most Bundy horns are kinda bland sounding, they are also known for being able to take a beating and still play fairly decently, which is sorta what you want out of a student instrument.

i picked up a bundy bass this summer and whats unique about it is it has a charles bay neck with it. this rare neck completly transforms this horn. along with a very good woodind b6 vintage mpc -this thing really plays! i have heard of bay necks for vito horns but never thought bay made ones for bundys

Back
Top Bottom