Selmer Primo Reeds

tictactux

Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member
(excuse me for bluntly copying my own post from the clarinet bboard...)

I got my Primo Bass Clarinet reeds in the mail today. The package says "5 hand select reeds (...) manufactured (...) by Gonzalez Reeds for Conn-Selmer, Inc. Free of pesticides and chemical products". The individual reeds come in simple paper sleeves, no plastic except from the box shrink wrap.

Tried them (I only had the Vandoren Bass reeds so far) and I was pleasantly surprised. I just picked the first reed and got going. I like the unfiled cut (or at least they're rougher than VD), playing was effortless, nice sound, including altissimo (something that's eminently important on bass, yeah) - I'm a happy camper.

Considering that they cost just just 50..60% of a VD reed, there's really nothing to complain about. I have no idea (obviously) how long they'll last, but it's nice to have the same brand available over the whole spectrum, clarinets and saxes alike. Definitely worth a try, especially for those who already swear by Gonzalez.

Drawback: They're only available in #2, #2.5, #3 and #3.5 strengths.

I've been tempted to try the Gonzales reeds but I have my setups pretty well defined that I really don't want to change things.

I'm impressed by the way they process and treat their reeds. The fact that they don't use pesticides and chemicals is a benefit as far as I can see.

From where did you order them?

Thanks for that link. They have quite a selection of stuff.

I really enjoyed reading through the descriptions provided for each reed brand and style. Those writers amaze me - they'd do well describing wine once they mastered the lingo. DAVE

Back
Top Bottom