So, what'cha get for Christmas?

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
Musically speaking, that is.

I didn't get anything musical, oddly enough. I did give something musical: my wife is the proud owner of a Sansa Fuze.

The reason why she got the older model (there's a Fuse+) is that people that owned the Fuze and Fuze+ think that the Fuze+ is a piece of junk. And the refurb is only about $30 less expensive than new :).

Why not a different MP3 player? She wanted one that could record from radio.

I buy everything under sun of a musical nature for myself, so my wife and kids get me other stuff. Since my wife and I both value experiences over "things" we have a tradition of taking a vacation in the cold Utah winters to a warm sunny place. She pays my way, and I pay hers. It is a gift "exchange" that works for us. Of course, we still get each other little things to have a few gifts to open on Christmas.

And having divested myself of that wonderful Couf tenor (the Ref 36 and Suzy's Ref 54 keep me busy) I got a Yani SC992 from Kessler for a great, low price. Sweet! And it generates a lot of comments when our quartet performs and I pull out the oddity. Don't see many curvies now a days. :cool:

Last edited:
Musical? Nothin' - Not even a lump of coal shaped like a mouthpiece. However, I did get a notice that my Vibratosax is now in the United States somewhere.

And I also bought a flock of vintage baritone mouthpieces from the estate of a top New York woodwind doubler a few weeks ago, and I'm still having fun trying them out.

Do mouthpieces come in flocks? Or herds? Or schools?

No musical gifts, thankfully. Two books, some fragrance, a magazine subscription.

When it comes to gifts, I'm an opportunist. I'll buy my wife a new laptop when hers is about to die, and I was genuinely and pleasantly surprised when she bought me a fine dufflecoat when temperature suggested it - not much good waiting for Christmas in such cases, no? (Yet it's more than just household stuff requiring maintenance and replacement.)

And opportunity had it that my wallet was at an all-time high and the Euro at an all-time low so that I decided to buy a shiny new *** with silver-plated *** - my 2nd "new" *** ever, everything else being 2nd hand. (will report in due time)

I got a shirt with a clarinet on it and a "street sign" that says something about band practice. Slightly before the holidays I asked for some reeds for both my clarinet and sax. I also had to get Smartmusic, which is simply fantastic.

All I had said when my parents asked what I wanted was school supplies. On Christmas morn' I unwrapped an office depot box with a bunch of writing utensils and a binder. At the bottom was a brand new Yamaha 450N. It's a step up from a student buffet and it's my first wooden instrument. I'm a very happy camper. Now I ask, can someone pm me with some care and maintenance tips? I know the general rules, but I like being thorough. :]

..... On Christmas morn' I unwrapped an office depot box with a bunch of writing utensils and a binder. At the bottom was a brand new Yamaha 450N. It's a step up from a student buffet and it's my first wooden instrument. I'm a very happy camper. Now I ask, can someone pm me with some care and maintenance tips? I know the general rules, but I like being thorough. :]

that's a kewl way of getting a new instrument !!

i think we have a section of care and maintenance .. or we should ....

yeah, I bought it !! :)

Oh, you're the one. I wanted to buy it, but by the time I noticed the post, the horn had sold. (The virtual ink hadn't even dried on the virtual paper yet. Damn you're fast.) :tongue:

My son got a Sansa Clip and I bought myself a color nook which can play music. No instruments or reeds or anything like that. I'm being a good boy although this vibrosax is tempting. :)

I decided this year that that I wasn't exchanging gifts with ANYONE (including my parents) ... it made life easy especially with being on a ship.

So ... I donated to charity for my giving ... and for my getting I bought myself some things over the past month to make my life aboard a little more enjoyable, so let's call these my Christmas Prezzies LOL!

- Red limited edition Wii (comes with Super Mario) and Wii fit plus
- Cheap AT&T GoPhone for Fort Lauderdale days
- Green Micro-fleece blanket
- Red rope light - shhhh don't tell Chief Officer Safety ... I don't think I'm "supposed" to have it.
- New wifi/3G kindle (and I bought a couple of books to go with it)

I already noted one musical thing I got for myself: a CD of St. Vincent's Strange Mercy.

I asked my wife and she agreed that we, the adults, could give each other something in our daughter's name (she's 9). I got a new iPad case and something called iBallz. Well, I can play music on the iPad, so ....

I decided to treat myself to a new horn mic on Black Friday. Got a Heil PR40 large diaphragm dynamic for 20% off. Suitable for the studio or live performance. It's the poor man's version of the Electrovoice RE-20. I've only used it once so far in a live setting, but it sounds good.

A Kindle Kindle Fire HD and a new desktop computer. Oh, and oatmeal cookies. Yes, I am a cookie monster.

Let me know if you find a way to read sheetmusic on the Kindle!

Musically, I got a 5 string fiddle as a gift, and bought myself way too much stuff - PA, cases for the PA, bass amp/cab, keyboard/bass amp rig and a 4 space case to hold it.

Back
Top Bottom