Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Spare Footjoint

Gandalfe

Striving to play the changes in a melodic way.
Staff member
Administrator
Has anyone on this forum ever had a need for a spare footjoint? I know most players have a C footjoint. I purchased two flutes with B footjoints and now wonder if I should have purchased one of each to see how much lighter the flute is with a C footjoint.

I have flutes with B feet and flutes with C feet. There is a difference in feel, but it is mostly when you move the flute, not when you are holding it still IME. To me it doesn't make much difference, although some flute players, Rampal being the most prominent, say that the B foot ruins both the balance and the response in the low end. OTOH closing the B key is supposed to bring the C4 better into tune and improve response. It does, but the effect is minor at best, certainly nowhere near as dramatic as the way a split E helps E3, for instance. Unless you are very much into multiphonics and strange stuff, or like to overblow to the 2nd harmonic to get the hollow tone characteristic of that mode, or play orchestral music written to low B there is little real advantage to a B foot.

Toby

Back
Top Bottom