Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Speaker Madness

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
I have a set of older harman/kardon speakers for my computer. I got them just as they were discontinued about 10 years ago, so I got them for about $20. Unfortunately, they've been slowly dying over the past few weeks, so I've been looking at getting a used high-end system. While I wanted a set of harman/kardon Soundsticks, which is consistently listed in the top 5 of the best multimedia sets out there. However -- and possibly because they are good and last for a long while -- I was unable to find a used set. I did find, however, a JBL Creature II set on eBay for $40. The only thing missing was the 1/8" cable from the computer to the speaker "base" and I've got a bazillion of those. I also know the Creature II is in the top 10 list for multimedia speakers, so I went for it.

My comment: eh.

That's essentially the same comment I have with the stereo in my car: it's the "upgraded" 500-watt Ford stereo that has a couple ginormous woofers. Good bass, OK treble. No midrange. Unlike my car, if I'm listening to classical, the Creature goes <thump> when a moderately low note is hit. Pop? No problem. Sounds fine. This annoys me.

A year or two back, I got a new set of JVC headphones that were modeled on (i.e. "directly copied from") an Audio Technica set and sound absolutely fantabulous. I got those for $35 or so and they're waaaaaaaaaay better than the Creature. Too bad JVC doesn't have multimedia speakers.

Anyhow, I actually am impressed with the amount of sound that comes out of the "satellites." They're only about 3" "square" and you can easily put as much sheer sound through them as I could through my harman/kardons. They're just a tad bright. Using the software graphic EQ in Windows Media Player helps, but still pretty bright.

Anyone want to buy a slightly used used Creature?

Those "sound sticks" are an elegant design. I had never heard of them before your post. I am very pleased with my Klips THX Pro Medial 2.1 computer speakers which I got from Best Buy for around $150. There is not a treble/bass control as such, but you can adjust the amount of sound coming from the "subwoofer".

I've known about the Soundsticks for quite awhile for one major reason: I'm a Mac tech (amongst other techie duties). For quite awhile the big box stores that displayed the Soundsticks connected to a Mac. I dunno why, but it might have been some sort of licensing deal Apple & harmon/kardon worked out.

Thanks for the note on the Klipsch speakers. I didn't know that they also made computer sets.

Back
Top Bottom