Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Sudden troubles with Upper Register

Hey there!

I'm a relatively experienced player, I'd say intermediate level. Just recently I've been having trouble hitting the higher register, like above a D high. It's not an issue with my blowing or my embouchure unless I've suddenly forgotten how to play, and I've recently had my clarinet serviced- I've had other bass clarinetists play my horn and while they admit it's not wonderful hitting the higher notes, they're able to at least hit them.

The thing is- I was comfortably hitting upper register notes with absolutely no issues prior to a week ago. I showed up to rehearsal and suddenly- poof! -I can't play! My reeds are all rather old if I'm being honest so I'm nearly certain that they're the issue here, but I'm completely baffled on how it happened so suddenly! I'm in the process of breaking in a new reed but I don't know what I'll do if that doesn't solve the problem.

What I'm basically asking is: Am I crazy?? Is it likely my reed? Or did I get mind-wiped and forgot how to play entirely! Any feedback is appreciated

You have a leak. Bass clarinets are susceptible to the slightest leak, far more so than the soprano clarinet. Your having had it recently serviced is irrelevant, these leaks can occur during handling or even in the case. The long linkages of the bass clari mean that any strain on the keywork is magnified and distortion occurs. Get it checked for leaks by somebody who knows their way round a bass clari.

What Tony said. Also, you may want to check the vent hole on the left hand index finger key. If it is blocked (food particle, other miscellaneous debris), that can really mess with the altissimo range.

Back
Top Bottom