The Office

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
SOTSDO said:
I've got an extensive computer network that integrates all of this with the backup setup. Lotsa USB cables, a couple of powered hub, and all of it kept out of sight under the desk, which is a two wall assembly of modernistic Ikea stuff. When I retired, one of my presents to myself was a well-set up office, so I converted the boy's bedroom into same. I could vanish into there for a week, so well set up is it for the stuff that I do.
This made me think about office setups.

I have an entire room as an office. It's also a former bedroom and the previous owners painted one wall with clouds and spaceships, so I'd assume it was a youngish boy's room.

I'd say that this room is probably 12' x 9' or so. My wooden computer desk and a ($%#!@ heavy) wooden lateral file cabinet are along one of the 9' walls, the one that has a window on it. The other walls have book shelves, an old circular dining room table that has the flaps you can put up or down and I've got another identical lateral file cabinet with a mini-fridge on top of it.

Oh. Also on both lateral file cabinets are two of the Sterilite (Rubbermaid knock-off) plastic storage drawers that have various computer and/or audio parts in 'em.

One of these days I'm planning on re-doing the various wires and cords. I use a CPAP machine and get new 5'-ish long tubing every few months, so I have a bit of a stock. I think that'd be perfect for keeping cables sorted. Especially considering the ever-changing amount of computer stuff in my room. And 4.1 audio.

I've got enough room for my desk chair and one of the chairs from the aformentioned dining table. Hey, one with arms and one without. I am looking for a better cushion for my desk chair (the chair is simular to this). I've got a memory foam one that's OK, but compresses too much. If you've got suggestions in the under $40 range, I'm all ears!

I'm also slowly getting rid of some of my books to get shelf space for more plants.

Oh. Art by Andrew Wyeth (big print of Christina's World), Monet (Lilies, Summer Day), me (several old woodwind calendars), my kids and oldest niece.

Gandalfe's pics remind me: we both have simular desks and simular sized dogs. Mine hides under the desk during thunderstorms and/or the 4th of July fireworks.

Jim, does the dog like your cat and vice-versa?

Mine's about 11x13.
the art is Vermeer's 'woman washing a window',
the 'Beatles as Rennaissance Minstrels' by Fabio Traverso,
National Geographic's 'Shakespeares' Britain" map,
Two miniature prints from 'Les Tres Riches Heures du le Duc du Berry",
& some other tchotskies, tartan & otherwise.

It doubles as a bagpipe room. there's a couch, and two floor -to-ceiling shelves, one with sheet music, the other with instruments, and a cabinet with select LP's & cassettes. So much for the important stuff! :)

Since Im paper-trained, what Ive done is to seperate the electronics. these reside on two trashpicked bedside night tables, with a bit of sauder chipboard straddling them both. this is where the office jet, computer, phone, & everything that has to plug in to operate resides. All the cords are tucked up in the gap, and emenate from a self-drilled hole to supply the machines.

the 'paper' section lives on a reclaimed dining table, and has the piles: bills, disbursements, files, contracts, schedules, calendars, photos, forms, and their acoutrements: inkpads, paperclips, stapler, rubber bands etc.

there's a chair for the paper region, & a chair for the plug-in region. Neither roll or swivel.

i find it periodically essential (maybe every 3-4 years) to trash the place & hurl/sell/donate all the rubbish I havent used since the last purge. Theres still a few months left on the previous purgation.

What I'd like to do is add a "tool" region, where I can destroy cane, swear loudly at reeds, and crush things in a vise, but Im concerned about the carpet and cant find a right sized workbench.

I was going to post a complex joke about purgatory, but I'll let y'all just think of your own :).

If I was more organized, I would actually scan all my various paper stuff lying around. I'd gain some more space. That'd be nice.

Oh. Of my two gigantic lateral files, only one drawer of four has actual files in it. The others have a mountain of woodwind research and various computer parts (I think I finally got rid of my AGP and MCA cards). My desk, which has three 8.5x11 file drawers and two little drawers is also full of computer junk. The closet has larger computer junk, including boxes from stuff the warranty hasn't run out on and clothes. I've also got a couple guitars and an alto sax, two clarinets, a violin and a flute in various nooks and crannies.

Why, yes. Yes I did do some cleaning today :).

Gandalfe's pics remind me: we both have simular desks and simular sized dogs. Mine hides under the desk during thunderstorms and/or the 4th of July fireworks.

Jim, does the dog like your cat and vice-versa?
The dawg has never not had cats around. They wrestle and play all the time. This dawg isn't afraid of thunder or fireworks; not like the last dawg was. Both dawgs would sit in the middle of the sax quartet practice and sleep.

My dog's almost 14 and is mostly deaf and blind. My wife and I *assume* that the deaf part is why he's afraid of loud bangs: he can feel them and might hear it a bit, but he doesn't know where it's coming from, thus it scares him. He never used to be that afraid of thunderstorms, etc.

This past Friday, we had a big monsoon storm, with 2.83" (that's 15,023 mL, for you Canadians) inches of rain in about 8 hours. When I drove to work through the rain, I didn't see any lightning or hear any thunder, but my wife and daughter assured me that it was really bad where they were -- which is only about 10 miles (13.28 billion hectopascals, for you Canadians) from where we live.

Upon coming home, my wife found the dog hunkered in my bathtub. He also tried, but did not succeed, in pulling the shower curtain down to hide under.

It took him until today to recover ....

Back
Top Bottom