The Saga of Pete

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
This might not be the one and only discussion area for this, but it's good enough. Let me share my journey in the musical world.

I started playing clarinet in the 5th grade, or so. I initially wanted to play trombone, but I failed the rather stupid test for it: the instructor gave me a mouthpiece -- no instruction, mind you -- and asked me if I could make a noise. I couldn't, but could on the clarinet.

From that point on, I began a love/hate relationship with the clarinet, which switched back to "love" in about the 8th grade, when I found out a different mouthpiece made playing easier :emoji_astonished:.

At the start of 9th grade, I found out that the HS band had 25 clarinet players. I asked to switch to bass clarinet. I did this for a couple months, until I was asked to switch to bari sax. Additionally, at that time I got my first paying job: assistant to the director at my church. This job eventually became two part: a) computer work, from transcription to fixing computers and b) playing whatever part wasn't covered on one of my various instruments.

This position not only allowed me to get fairly skilled on a variety of things (including MIDI and electronic instruments), it also allowed me to play in a variety of different groups (jazz, small ensemble, etc.) and with some very interesting studio and pro musicians, most of whom you wouldn't know, so I won't belabor that point.

I also started singing. I was told I sucked. That's ok, though: from about age 12, I was a bass. They needed basses, even those that couldn't sing.

Fast forward a couple years, to graduation day (or somewhat before it). I had been offered a full-ride scholarship for biology at $school in $far_away_state, but I really wanted to pursue music, so I got myself accepted at SUNYC at Fredonia to study with Dr. Wyman, a 1st-gen student of Sigurd Rascher. Unfortunately, he didn't have any openings in his degree-classes (i.e., I wasn't quite good enough to get in), so I had to do a different major. I practiced for 6 hours or so a day. I got incrementally better, but realized: I have no talent at this, I just work hard and I'm not getting much better.

And then I got married (for the first time). I needed real money. I got a job as the head of a music department at a church in Tucson -- which promptly went bankrupt a year later. I did get another music job, as a director at a different church, but no pay. Hey, I worked as an accountant: it paid the bills.

About 6 years after this, I was no longer married to wife #1 and I was working as a computer tech. My techie job required me to learn HTML to get stuff posted on the intarweb. Fooling around with that led to the creation of my old website, saxpics.com. I also moved to Phoenix, AZ and started attending another church -- the music director of which said my voice wasn't half-bad, but I could use some lessons. I got them, from two different pro musicians (one toured with a gentleman named Larnelle Harris, the other was formerly Miss Arizona). I got pretty good at voice, but had no real need or opportunity to play sax or clarinet, so hung those up.

Throughout all of this, I've also been on TV hundreds of times and played at least that many gigs with dozens of different groups. I've also recorded two CDs, one singing bass and one singing tenor (yes, I have a rather extended range). I'd call that a fairly "successful" music career. Not extremely profitable, but successful.

What was the point of all this? Perhaps that if you've got a goal, do what you can to attain it, regardless of what others think, but you need to define for yourself what "successful" is. Another might be that talent may be able to take you farther than hard work, but even with talent, you need to do the work (which my college roommate, a talented singer, didn't realize: he ended the year with a .36 average). Or maybe I just wanted to up my postcount :).

Thanks for the story Pete. Might I inquire about your offspring who had some difficulties a few years ago? I believe she shared a due date with my daughter. I was following quite closely as events were posted and hope she is doing well.

Yes, daughter #2 :).

A brief recap: my second daughter was born 10 weeks premature and weighed 3lb 1oz. And had severe hydrocephalus. The latter was treated by a series of shunts (the first actually failed). The former required some rather extended hospital visits and then physical therapy for several years.

She's now 4. The shunt has been removed, although she's got some issues that may be related to that (headaches). No more PT; they say that she's pretty much as normal as she can be. No obvious learning disabilities or any other problems. She has had a few fun sicknesses ("Daddy, you remember when I threw up on you?" "Which time?") and a series of tubes for her ears, but is otherwise normal.

========

BTB, welcome to the forum, Carl. Nice to have you aboard!

I'm glad to hear she is doing well. My 4 yr old is doing well too. She is small for her age, but smart as anything and incredibly intuitive when it comes to physical motions. I rethought many of the motions I go through when playing various instruments as I watched her learn how to move. I'm recovering from a hamstring injury right now and walking in a bit of pain. She told me to walk a certain ridiculous way, and darned if it wasn't pain free!

I think I'll try to channel her towards a medical pathway instead of music like her old man did.

I forgot to mention this.

One way I knew I had "succeeded" in the sax world was because my mom called me about this exchange, a couple years ago:

I went to the bookstore the other day and was browsing the calendars. I overheard a person say, "This calendar's nice, but I wish there was a calendar of saxophones."
I said, "My son has one."
"He does?"
"Yes. He has a website called 'saxpics.com' ..."
"You mean you're Saxpics' mom? I love his website!"
When people tell your mom they've heard of you, you're famous :).

I was flattered, immensely.

That would be cool.

There's nothing like the pride of a parent and being able to share it with their children.

Yah. It was kewl.

I think I've mentioned here that I'm a computer tech. I've had at least two techie articles published, but I doubt my mom would ever call me and say, "I was having this problem in $operating_system. I was surprised when I Googled and found your article was the #1 solution online! There were all these other geeks that said what a paragon of techie goodness it was, too!"

My wife is a teacher. I constantly tell her, when she gets down on her job, "Yes, you may get paid less than I do, but I'll never have someone come up to me, out of the blue, and say something like, 'I don't know if you remember me, but my name is Nancy. You fixed a blue screen of death error on my computer in 1999. Because you did, I was able to attend an HR meeting and fire 25 people. That changed my life!'"

Good story, Pete. Glad to hear that you and your daughter are doing fine.

You're welcome. I'm happy she's doing well, too.

I hope someone will at least look at my pro musician career and say either, "That's quite fine with me!" or "Maybe I'll have this instrument thing as a hobby!" I really do think that's a serious thing to weigh because of the costs involved. A really good teacher costs $50 an hour, for advanced students, and you should be taking lessons at least once a week. And then there's the cost of a horn. And the time for practicing. And college tuition, if you're planning on a pro career.

While some people consider someone who plays gigs his entire life the only real kind of "pro" musician, there are so many other professional music fields.

Some of the greatest career successes in the music biz come about because someone can combine involvement in music with a skill in a completely (until now!) unrelated field.

Thanks Pete, that was a good read and inspirational. It looks like you just kept doing your thing despite what others might say. You do need a thick skin in this line of work.

pete said:
While some people consider someone who plays gigs his entire life the only real kind of "pro" musician, there are so many other professional music fields.
Agreed. Recently I've been learning about sound engineering. Wow, I really have a lot of respect for good soundmen. I'm amazed by how many musicians do not understand the importance of balancing levels and preventing distortion and clipping.

SuperAction80 said:
Thanks Pete, that was a good read and inspirational. It looks like you just kept doing your thing despite what others might say. You do need a thick skin in this line of work.

Agreed. Recently I've been learning about sound engineering. Wow, I really have a lot of respect for good soundmen. I'm amazed by how many musicians do not understand the importance of balancing levels and preventing distortion and clipping.
It's amazing how few of these there really are out there.

Carl H. said:
SuperAction80 said:

I ran sound for about a year. I knew enough to not turn the knob labeled "suck" to 10.

I'm referencing a very old "Far Side" cartoon. If you don't know what I'm talking about, move along.)

Other than that, not much else.

One thing I've noticed when I've seen sound guys in a live setting is that they rarely take off their headphones and actually listen to the sound. At the very least, you should, at least once. The sound you're getting from the headphones is great -- if you're recording. If you're not, you're really getting the sound from the speakers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Carl H said:

I can tolerate mismatched levels, but CLIPPING drives me insane. Sadly, a lot of the "techs" I've seen will clip, crank up the highs on the EQ and make my ears bleed, and feedback like crazy because they are running their gains too high. On the other hand, I've met and have talked with sound techs who make working that board a form of art. The good ones are still out there. Sadly, a lot of bands do not understand the importance of a good soundman. A bad soundman can make the best musicians sound like crap.

Pete, I've noticed that with the headphones too. Actually, headphones can still be a nightmare even when you are recording. I have a couple decent sets of headphones, but they still distort your sense of perception. This is especially true when you're working with levels and effects. I'll swear by a good set of studio monitors if I have the option.

Honestly, I'm not an expert at sound engineering, but I do have fun with it, and am learning as I go. It gives me a whole new outlook on music. It is an art, and I would concentrate on it exclusively if I ever had to give up the saxophone.

Oh, and I remember that Farside cartoon. :emoji_smile:

Groovekiller said:
Some of the greatest career successes in the music biz come about because someone can combine involvement in music with a skill in a completely (until now!) unrelated field.

I'm hoping so. At this time I'm combining at least 3 skill sets to make a business out of connecting musicians, and potential musicians to resources of all kinds on the web.

BTW, Glad to see a woodwind forum as I've searched for them before and never found anything. I added it to the music forums list on my website. I have a Buescher Aristocrat that was a gift for my 21st birthday (I'm 37 now) from an old bluesman/teacher who is now deceased, and it's to be used way more often than I have. My fiance's son used it for one year in high school band, but I think he wants to be a drummer now :geezer1:

I think with some focus and direction I could relearn what I forgot and learn fairly quickly. Although the expense is somewhat of an issue yet, I think I can probably focus on a little better budgeting for it as well. I've actually started the web activities in hopes of paying some of those expenses.

Oh to be a slave to the labor of love for many - music

SuperAction80 said:

pete said:

My fiance has been a sound engineer most of his life. Over the last 6 years we were running a local sound reinforcement company http://www.digisoundmusic.com for various bands, niteclubs and festivals. Now we've sold off most of our PA in hopes of buying some real estate first in which to raise his 2 boys, who we will be regaining custody of this year. He still engineers for those who have their own gear which has been kinda nice for him. Maybe we'll get a new PA when his boys are old enough to haul it around :emoji_smile:

Welcome to the WF Carol. There are a lot of resources out there to explore and many are listed on this forum. But I look for the tenor and quality of the people who frequent the forum to be important too. I'm here because I like the atmosphere and company. :cool:

pete said:
My wife is a teacher. I constantly tell her, when she gets down on her job, "Yes, you may get paid less than I do, but I'll never have someone come up to me, out of the blue, and say something like, 'I don't know if you remember me, but my name is Nancy. You fixed a blue screen of death error on my computer in 1999. Because you did, I was able to attend an HR meeting and fire 25 people. That changed my life!'"

ROTFLMAO..... :emoji_smile:

I don't know how I missed this post before Pete. That was priceless :!:

Helen said:
pete said:

ROTFLMAO..... :emoji_smile:

I don't know how I missed this post before Pete. That was priceless :!:
Thanks. I really have told my wife (and other teachers) this. It meets with universal approval.

VERY rarely does someone even thank me for fixing their computer. Yes, it's my job. It's still nice to say "thank you".

Back
Top Bottom