Typologie des instruments à vent selon leur mode de production des notes

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
I'm shooting for the longest thread title. Google Translate: "Typology of wind instruments with their production notes."

I came across this website a looooong time ago and I don't seem to have referenced it here or on SOTW. Website: http://jeanluc.matte.free.fr/articles/typologie/typologie.htm. It essentially is what it says on the tin, but if you search the page I linked to for "Les pages d'illustrations secondaires," you'll get a list of catalogs and other advertising stuff. Most of the catalogs are English, French, or German. (Helen, there's a 1939 Meinel & Herold Klingenthal catalog, which has a bass sax listed.)

Enjoy!

Interesting... Hey, did you happen to notice the price difference between the plexiglass and wooden bassoons? Wow!

Oh, I'm still trying to figure out if they made their own saxes, or if they ordered those from another Co. in Markneukirchen.

267 for the most expensive wooden one vs. 830 for the plexiglass.

Oh, I had fun with some inflation calculators. In 1939, 2.5 DM = 1 US dollars. So, that's $106.80 vs. $332.00, in 1939. Today, that's $1804 vs $5606. A new Fox Model 222 with high D, the first horn to come up in Google, is $5995.

Hey, the most expensive wooden clarinets in that catalog are 39 DM. The plexiglass one is 250.

Considering I have pics of a clear plastic Boehm-system Kohlert clarinet, and a Boehm is what's advertised in the catalog, we might be able to assume that the other plexiglass instruments listed are also from Kohlert. Kohlert was the biggest name in the bassoon biz, too, so that makes a degree of sense. I can say that the saxophones aren't Kohlerts, tho. In the late 30s, you'd have the "VKS" horns. Those are quite different from what's in the catalog.

I did a little Googling. Here's a clear plastic Fox bassoon, a modern clear plastic flute, a modern clear plastic Vibratosax, and a clear plastic Marigaux oboe. (I can conclusively tell you that the oboe was made much later than 1939 by the "SML" logo on the bell.)

Back
Top Bottom