Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

User Titles/Colorful User Names

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
I'm sure I had this someplace, but we're asked a lot about it, so I'm re-writing.

Colorful User Names

* Red indicates that the poster is an Administrator (at the moment, that's a person that founded this forum: Ed, Gandalfe and me).
* Green indicates that the poster is a Content Expert. This is someone Ed, Gandalfe or I have identified as someone who knows his stuff about a particular topic AND has volunteered to be a moderator.
* Orange indicates that the poster is a Distinguished Member. This is someone the WF staff knows has good information and you should listen to him.

Content Experts ("CEs") and Admins can ban you and/or move around your posts. Distinguished Members can't.

========

User Titles

We have automatic titles and user-defined titles. The automatic ones are:

* Junior Member: has 0 to 29 posts
* Member: has 30 to 99 posts
* Senior Member: has 100+ posts

The user-defined titles are available to those folks that have a colorful user name, have begged for a custom title OR is someone we decided to give a title to. (I accept bribes.)

The user-defined titles are available to those folks that have a colorful user name, have begged for a custom title OR is someone we decided to give a title to. (I accept bribes.)
Stay tuned for the "Forum Contributor 2009" title rally... :p

That's my secret..

...now made plain for all to see.

I probably qualify as an expert only on the full Boehm horns, and the bass clarinet. Lord knows that I've been playing them for long enough. As such, it's a bit hard for me to get excited when someone extolls the virtues of the student model Yamaha or Selmer or Vito product. I have to stand back and understand that the Vito is the best that most can afford.

However, I'm not one to begrudge others their opinion - this is a big tent endeavor, and there's room for all. I just want to stick around long enough to own my own professional German system bass clarinet. Once that happens, I figure that I've done it all, or at least everything worth doing.

As for the Old King Log that often appears next to my name on websites:

I've liked that, ever since I first saw I, Claudius back in the 1970's, which in turn picked it up from an old Greek parable back in the dark days of antiquity. I've felt like Emperor Claudius for a long time, and I'm content to remain on the sidelines for the most part, avoiding both the hurly-burly of modern life and the turmoil of the Internets.

So, you with it guys go and play your classical music and your puro jazz - meanwhile, I'll bust my gut on Play That Funky Music, White Boy for a room full of drunken debs and their awkward dates and consider my time well spent...

I just want to stick around long enough to own my own professional German system bass clarinet.
Yesterday I put an elderly Uebel (low D) into the mail. Since no one wanted to buy it, I gave it away...

Yesterday I put an elderly Uebel (low D) into the mail. Since no one wanted to buy it, I gave it away...
Where was it listed?:-(

All that link gave me was a black window. I assumed that the horn was a special blacked out model from the war...

It was probably used by Alan Turing to make Collossus work....:emoji_smile:

All that link gave me was a black window. I assumed that the horn was a special blacked out model from the war...
Then your PDF reader is a bit slow. Right-click and "save as"... (unless your mouse has only one button)

Stay tuned for the "Forum Contributor 2009" title rally... :p
Well, it is a valid way of making cash -- I don't have a problem with desiring to MAKE cash, just as long as you list what the operating expenses are.

FWIW, that is :).

Somewhere there is a thread about how we finance the forum.

The short answer remains - Ad revenue and my pockets.

It's worth it to me.

I found the thread. Hey it was even in the same area - FAQ.

Here's what I wrote back in March 2008:

Financing The Community A number of people have asked the question - How can we help finance the community?

At this point, the community runs ads on the site to help defray the cost of operation. As of March 2008 the ads cover about 30 percent of the total cost of hosting. I have a couple of other sites that share our Virtual Server and they contribute additional money. The remainder of the expenses come out of my pocket which I enjoy doing as it is my opportunity to help provide an interesting resource for the Woodwind Community.

Pete Hales has graciously offered to do a calendar for us that will bring in some additional funds to help us cover expenses.

My goal with Woodwind Forum is to avoid asking members for donations and to have the site become self sufficient through ad revenue, calendar projects, and other revenue streams such as affiliate programs that link to the main site. If we get to the point where the community is bringing in more money than is going out then I plan on re-investing a large portion of those funds back into the site with advertising either on the Internet or in various trade magazines and journals.

Come on Ed we have a hole being burned in our pocket . . . take our money!

Tempting as it is I think we have a model that will allow for us to cover expenses and perhaps even have some extra income. I really appreciate the offers of assistance but what every member can do for the community is to mention it to a friend and help it grow. If you do that you'll help drive traffic to the site which will further increase our ad revenue. The most important gift that anyone can give to the community is to participate. Participating and being a part of making this community an important resource for woodwind players is the greatest donation any of you could give to me.

Pete's got the calendar banner up at the top and I would encourage anyone who wants to support us to purchase one.

I've picked up a lot of great advice and appreciate the friendships that have come out of us starting this forum.

Pete's got the calendar banner up at the top and I would encourage anyone who wants to support us to purchase one.
No way I'm gonna hang up a calendar with stinkin' saxes up my wall. When you're doing one with clarinets next year, I'll be your man. :cool:

I've picked up a lot of great advice and appreciate the friendships that have come out of us starting this forum.
While I still encourage people to buy my calendar, Ed posted something a tad incorrect.

The WF calendar (which I still would love to do) was canceled for 2009 due to lack of participation. The calendar that you see is actually my neglected website's calendar.

If you want to be part of a future calendar (mine AND/OR one for the WF) OR you'd like your saxophone featured in my upcoming book on saxes, please check out my Wiki at http://www.thesax.info/mediawiki-1.10.0/index.php?title=Calendar_project (it has lotsa details, the RELEASE FORM that has to be signed if you want to contribute pics and a breakdown of how much money you could make).

So, just to be clear:
* Clarinets or other woodwinds (including sax) would be in a WF calendar, if there are enough submissions for 2010. (Hint, hint. I'd like pics of Marigaux clarinets. Hint, hint.)
* Pictures featuring sax (but can include other instruments) will be considered for my book and/or my 2010 TheSax.info calendar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now I see titles such as Woodwind player (me I guess), and Woodwind Member. Fits well with the forum:) but what's the difference (like it matters, really...)?

Ed had been tweaking the titles of the members yesterday. This is what he put up (at least I think it is):

New Woodwind Player 0-29 posts
Woodwind Player 30-99 posts
Woodwind Member 100-499 posts
Experienced Woodwind Member 500-999
Senior Woodwind Member 1000+

Congrats for being the first to notice Yamahaaltoplayer! Stay tuned, they may change again. :emoji_relaxed:

BTW, you're in Edmonton right? How are things there? What are you doing this summer to keep busy?

Last edited:
Ed had been tweaking the titles of the members yesterday. This is what he put up (at least I think it is):

New Woodwind Player 0-29 posts
Woodwind Player 30-99 posts
Woodwind Member 100-499 posts
Experienced Woodwind Member 500-999
Senior Woodwind Member 1000+

Congrats for being the first to notice Yamahaaltoplayer! Stay tuned, they may change again. :emoji_relaxed:

BTW, you're in Edmonton right? How are things there? What are you doing this summer to keep busy?

Takes a bit to be a senior, then again it's not about post count! I didn't think the titles were just changed yesterday though.

Hmm... this summer I actually found time and motivation to practice!:) School's back in two weeks so nothing left this summer. The school year is the only time I get to play in bands so yay!:D

Back
Top Bottom