Vintage Bueschers Cheap

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
I've been doing some investigating of sax prices for a project I'm working on and I decided to play with Buescher prices on eBay, today. Now, while a rather nice TH&C went for $2800 (really needed nothing), that was BY FAR the most expensive horn, with most selling in the sub-$1000 range.

Hmm. Big B alto for $500. Put some work into it and get a really nice horn. If'n you don't mind the ergos, that is. True Tone? I saw some altos in perfect shape for under $300.

I'd guess that it's a fairly good buyer's market.

Pete: Interesting.

I paid way more for my TT, Big B, and TH&C altos - I still have them. Each one is a top-flight player, too. I've had them all for nearly 10 years or more.

The TT I bought off eBay for $305, then had Rheuben Allen do a complete overhaul. It came out beautiful.

My Big B and TH&C were purchased separately but from the same store for around $1200 each. Finish-wise, they are original but not particularly attractive, yet both play really well. DAVE

Sorry I'm late to the party, but I've noticed the same thing.

I used to follow the sax market years ago before life got in the way, now that I'm paying attention again, it seems that the market is down by a third or more.

Here's something;

http://cgi.ebay.com/BUESCHER-400-SE...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a046a3f4

Basically, a 400 Tenor Serial [HASHTAG]#312271[/HASHTAG] with lacquer near 0% and a nice patina that went buy-it-now for $250. Probably sat in the corner of someone's garage or something, exposed to the elements as there was no case and the neck cork looks dried and dirty. It sat there on Ebay for 3 days before someone pulled the trigger.

several years ago, that would have sold for more about $1000, even with the possibility of stuck and rusted screws and rods.

Back
Top Bottom