Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

violin rosin as a quick-fix glue for pads

i just returned from a week long music workshop, where we were isolated from modern conveniences. one of the pads on my taragot came off and there was no glue to be found. however, there was plenty of violin rosin, so i melted some with a lighter and used it to re-glue the pad. it worked like a charm.

George

Get it to a tech soon. Rosin will turn brittle once it cools and dries and the pad cup is now contaminated. I have MANY containers of disintegrated rosin laying around my bench from students jarring their cases in winter.

Get it to a tech soon. Rosin will turn brittle once it cools and dries and the pad cup is now contaminated. I have MANY containers of disintegrated rosin laying around my bench from students jarring their cases in winter.

No problem, rosin is 100% reversible, and it worked perfectly in a pinch. This is also original pad, probably over 10 years old. I have been replacing pads on an as-needed basis, so this one will be next. The local tech is pretty useless, i only go there to get supplies and do the work myself.

George

Earlier this year I wanted to start playing the cello again. But thinking about what venues I had I saw minimal outside the home activities for it. I then decided to get a fretless bass guitar which has always been on my need to learn to play list. Wow, I should have bought one a few decades ago.

So no more desires to play the cello. I gave a student 3/4 cello I had here to the local elementary school. I was using that one to get the "string" fever out of me for a while.

So yes, kindling is a good idea lol :)

Earlier this year I wanted to start playing the cello again. But thinking about what venues I had I saw minimal outside the home activities for it. I then decided to get a fretless bass guitar which has always been on my need to learn to play list. Wow, I should have bought one a few decades ago.

So no more desires to play the cello. I gave a student 3/4 cello I had here to the local elementary school. I was using that one to get the "string" fever out of me for a while.

So yes, kindling is a good idea lol :)

I play Hungarian and Romanian folk music, mostly from Transylvania. So invariably, it is string-based. I play the viola and double bass, which I built for myself 3 years ago. I added the taragot/tárogató because Hungarians love it and it adds a nice touch to our band. But it's definitely a "nice to have" rather than "must have" for our type of music. So you won't see me burning any violins any time soon:)

George

Did you put the flats on yet?

No problem, rosin is 100% reversible,

Source of this info?

It is removable, but you need to clean the cup thoroughly to remove all traces before floating in a new pad. You do not want to leave rosin in there.

It may work in a pinch, but so does chewing gum.

Source of this info?

It is removable, but you need to clean the cup thoroughly to remove all traces before floating in a new pad. You do not want to leave rosin in there.

It may work in a pinch, but so does chewing gum.

Do you really mean that I need to find a source that proves that violin rosin is removable? I'm starting to regret having made this post.

Do you really mean that I need to find a source that proves that violin rosin is removable? I'm starting to regret having made this post.
You said reversible.

Given that using rosin to hold a pad involves a certain amount of heat to melt it, adding external matter to the equation seems a bit excessive, when heat should have softened the adhesive already in place.

You said reversible.

Given that using rosin to hold a pad involves a certain amount of heat to melt it, adding external matter to the equation seems a bit excessive, when heat should have softened the adhesive already in place.

By "reversible", I mean it can be undone completely without any side effects to the cup. I stand by that statement. The pad, as I mentioned, is a lost cause to begin with, and whatever was used originally to hold it in place (I assume burnt shellac - looked to be the same thing used in piano key felt), pretty much ceased to exist, save a crumb or 2.

I'm pretty sure that what I did took care of the situation better than chewing gum would have, but next time I will keep that info to myself. Besides, there was no chewing gum around (it did cross my mind). There was beer, ciggarettes, and rosin. Rosin seemend to be the best choice at that moment.

I appreciate your concern, but I got this one under control. I'll be heading to the store this week to pick up a few pads and pad adhesive.

Been there...sometimes one posts on a day where everyone appears to be rather unresponsive to one's attempts at telling about a household fix. Or quite in the contrary question your mental health or your ability to operate a musical instrument.

There are worse places than the WOOF, but even here you occasionally need to have your asbestos underwear ready.

Been there...sometimes one posts on a day where everyone appears to be rather unresponsive to one's attempts at telling about a household fix. Or quite in the contrary question your mental health or your ability to operate a musical instrument.

There are worse places than the WOOF, but even here you occasionally need to have your asbestos underwear ready.

It's all good, I appreciate any info, even it that info overstates the obvious. Given that a year ago, the taragot was rarely mentioned on forums, I am grateful for this forum and for any amount of information.

George

It's all good, I appreciate any info, even it that info overstates the obvious. Given that a year ago, the taragot was rarely mentioned on forums, I am grateful for this forum and for any amount of information.
I won't tell what household fixes I have come up with over the years... :emoji_flushed:

I won't tell what household fixes I have come up with over the years... :emoji_flushed:

At the same workshop 2 years ago, a friend fixed a separated violin joint with some hide glue (that I brought with me), using an improvised clamp made from scraps of firewood and 2 nuts and bolts.

I guess I shouldn't mention violins and fire in the same post again...

Back
Top Bottom