Wero Royal Gold Plated Bari

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
[MENTION=156]Helen[/MENTION]

s-l1600.jpg

I'd say this is probably the most rare horn on eBay this week. First bari I've seen from Werner Roth. Does make me think it could be a stencil ...

Nope, not a stencil. Roth made baris. There was one for sale just recently. The seller contacted me ahead of time asking me if I knew anyone looking for one. Too bad it hadn't come up a few years ago when I was looking for a low A bari, I would have likely bought it.

I have photos of a couple different baris, both in silver plate. One with Wero engraving, the other with Migma on the bell. I haven't uploaded them to my gallery yet though... I'm really behind...

Roth made altos, tenors, and baris. To my knowledge he didn't make sopranos, but I might be wrong on that. I haven't seen any, and haven't seen them mentioned either. That said, his business was in operation from 1949-1972, so it's possible there may have been some made, but that they fell through the cracks and haven't been spotted.

:D I was going to say that, but I have a funny feeling he didn't make any.

But go ahead, prove me wrong. I'd love that actually, since that would mean that there is a whole bunch of other interesting German horns out there to keep an eye out for. :)

I definitely agree that it's very hard to find Germanic sopranos and sopraninos from anyone other than Weltklang/B & S. Makes me wonder if folks in that section of the world just preferred clarinets to the sax for the soprano/sopranino sax roles -- hey, there's the "German-Style" clarinet, after all. I also wonder if it was because of WWII, as we had a few Germanic companies -- Adler, Kohlert, and Stowasser come to mind -- that made multiple models of each pitch, including contrabass, but it's rare to even find Adler and Stowasser horns now. Melted down for the war effort, perhaps? I know that saxophones were looked down, for a few years, on because of their association with "Western" music.

Back
Top Bottom