What are you practicing today?

Ed

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Today I'm planning on hitting long tones on Bari. Particularly on the low end of the horn. After that I'll run a page or two of the Rubank Advanced.

We have a concert on the 31st of this month so there are:
  • Poet & Peasant
  • Variations on a Korean Folk Song
  • Festive Overture
All have parts I can't play well enough yet. I'm on alto and soprano sax for this concert. Nope I didn't get that delicious alto solo on P&P; it wasn't my turn.

Then there's the new Woodinville Big Band that I fought two years to make happen and this month we finally exist. I've transposed the tenor sax solo to Motem Swing (from the Best of Basie CD) but I'd luv to know who the guy was playing the part if anyone knows.

I've got the first preview of Cabaret at 2 p.m. today, so the only practicing I'll be doing is getting re-acquainted with a few high maintenance licks in the book.

I'm prepping a schedule for myself with flute and bassoon practice at the core to keep those horns in shape.

Still mostly hitting long tones and various exercises like what Rory posted. Almost totally on bari although the other night I did play some tenor and alto.

I spend a lot of time noodling around for interesting melodic ideas. I need to spend a bit more time on sight reading as it is one of the weaker elements for me.

I have a concert with two communitybands on the 24th so I'm going thru all the peices for that as much as I can.
On the 25th a gig with the band I just started in, enough to get under the fingers for that and on the first of June I have 3 gigs, again the two communitybands and also the BigBand.
Hopefully after that I can get back to shedding my scales, arpeggios etc, because I would really like to get a better grip at all the basics instead of only playing charts.

hmmm ... Well for the summer i'm sticking to flute, clarinet, tenor and alto.

For saxophones ... Sound, time, harmony ... playing melody through harmony in time LOL ... tunes.

Clarinet/Flute ... Learning a lead reed book for a professional show currently on stage that I will never actually get to play ... HAHA ... but I'm going to see it so that should be fun ;o)

Clarinet/Flute ... Learning a lead reed book for a professional show currently on stage that I will never actually get to play ... HAHA ... but I'm going to see it so that should be fun ;o)
Actually that's a very cool idea if you can find the music for the show. I'd like to do that next year with some of the theater productions I've turned down already. Since I know the directors, it should be doable.

Actually that's a very cool idea if you can find the music for the show. I'd like to do that next year with some of the theater productions I've turned down already. Since I know the directors, it should be doable.

For sure! .. I LOVEEEEEEEE musicals :eek:)!!! Tee hee hee!

I'm hoping if I play my cards right I can hang out in the pit for 1 show. I've done that so far for Wicked, The Drowsy Chaperone and White Christmas in Toronto.

FLUTE and PICC:
Scales /Arpeggios
Taffanel and Gaubert
Marquarre
3rd Octave
Filas 90 Top Register Studies
Etudes
Demerssman 50 Melodic Studies

TENOR SAX:
Teal Saxophonist's Workbook
Frackenpohl Sonata

Working out the Houlik Classical mouthpiece I got on Thursday. :)

For sure! .. I LOVEEEEEEEE musicals :eek:)!!! Tee hee hee!

I'm hoping if I play my cards right I can hang out in the pit for 1 show. I've done that so far for Wicked, The Drowsy Chaperone and White Christmas in Toronto.

Get your schedule together, and you can do it for a show in Stratford too!

Get your schedule together, and you can do it for a show in Stratford too!

YAAAAAAAAAY!!!! ... I can't wait to come out and see you guys!

Trust me as soon as I'm done with the Jazz and Blues Fest I will be getting my ducks in a row to come visit! :eek:)

I spent a TON of hours today composing/arranging.

Back
Top Bottom