what do the mean...

Actually tip openings are typically measured in thousands of an inch in the United States. Selmer and Vandoren will list their pieces in metric. To further confuse the matter everyone measures facings in mm's.

So 66 is probably .066" which is a what a Jody Jazz C* piece measures.

One useful tool to have on hand when considering mouthpiece purchases is one of the equivalency charts that are found in some music jobber catalogs. (Two that I can think of off hand are Friederick J. Weiner (just outside of New York) and Woodwind and Brasswind, or WWBW, found everywhere on the Internets.)

These charts list all of the major brands plus many of the minor ones. There, you will find a Selmer HS** lined up with the numeric measurements and letter codes used by the other makers.

Plus, best of all, they are free, free, free...

Nice chart. I didn't see any reference to "MM" though, although I admit glancing over it. Maybe I missed it.

But, I'm guessing the 66 refers to the tip-opening measurement (as others have already written) and the "MM" may mean medium facing length and medium chamber size.

For instance, I have Meyer alto pieces that are 6S-Medium Chamber (which I sometimes refer to as "6SM") and 7M-Small Chamber ("7MS"). The first letter is the facing length and the second is obvious - chamber size.

Hope that clears up part of it for you. DAVE

Nice chart. I didn't see any reference to "MM" though, although I admit glancing over it. Maybe I missed it.

But, I'm guessing the 66 refers to the tip-opening measurement (as others have already written) and the "MM" may mean medium facing length and medium chamber size.

For instance, I have Meyer alto pieces that are 6S-Medium Chamber (which I sometimes refer to as "6SM") and 7M-Small Chamber ("7MS"). The first letter is the facing length and the second is obvious - chamber size.

Hope that clears up part of it for you. DAVE

It is. Just look at the top of the Graph.

I must be missing something . . . or the link you provided doesn't take me to the same place it takes you. When I click on the link in your initial post, it takes me to an alto saxophone mouthpiece chart for JJ mouthpieces. I see a few mouthpiece facings with an M next to the number within the chart, but nothing about MM or what those letters represent. DAVE

Back
Top Bottom