Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

What is your alto setup?

Dave Dolson

Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member
I had seven altos in my closet until I returned an early '60's MKVI to my adult son (I had given it to him, then was keeping it for him while he went through a nasty divorce a few years ago).

Now, I've settled on my '32 Cigar Cutter using a Meyer 6S-Medium Chamber and soft reeds (like Java 1 1/2 or 2). I also use a standard Rovner lig on it because that smooths out the whole set-up and gives me better response, especially at D2.

I like the old-tyme sound and the singing quality I get from the soft reeds. I also carry along a Don Sinta mouthpiece (acquired from Ed - thanks again for that one) if more volume is needed, although a reed change will also do the same thing for me on the Meyer. DAVE

Current Alto setup is a Selmer Ref. 54 Hummingbird with a Jody Jazz DV 7 and LaVoz Med. Reeds. Another mouthpiece I enjoy is my 1979 classic Claude Lakey 4*3 w/Bonade Nickle Lig. and LaVoz Med. Reeds.

I have a cheap Chinese saxophone branded Allora, witch Hite Premiere mouthpiece, a Rovner dark ligature, and Vandoren 2.0 reeds, and I am currently able to use it to make noises that frighten our cats and, probably, cause unnecessary suffering to our neighbours.

sideC

Artist in residence
Distinguished Member
My alto setup has changed since I posted four years ago. I'm back to playing the gold plated Selmer mk6 that is listed in my old post. More character than the ref, takes a little more effort though.
My mouthpiece has also changed. The old HR Link finally wore out, so I'm now playing on a Link 7 HR that I had Mojo Bari reface for me. It's now a .103 opening and I actually like it better than the old piece.

And the beat goes on.......

Julian

Yani A900 with a Selmer C* or Rousseau Metal Jazz and Rovner lig.
1938 Buescher Aristocrat with Morgan 3C or Link TE 6*.

Lately I'm most of the time on the Yani but whenever I pick up the Crat I really enjoy the slick keywork. Gus did great things.

Gandalfe

Admin and all around good guy.
Staff member
Administrator
Yani A900 with a Selmer C* or Rousseau Metal Jazz and Rovner lig.
1938 Buescher Aristocrat with Morgan 3C or Link TE 6*.

Lately I'm most of the time on the Yani but whenever I pick up the Crat I really enjoy the slick keywork. Gus did great things.
Got pictures of the 'crat? Was my first sax.

Here you go, these are a bit older and made with a simple camera and made inside as I recall.
The pitting shown in the last two pictures seems worse then in live view. This one was setup by Gayle.

Top Bottom