Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

What is your Clarinet setup ?

Ya. I'm jealous, I want more instruments!!! I could just quit music school HAHA ... that would give me an "extra" 15-20K per year.

Tammi

Private woodwind instructor
My main clarinet is a Selmer Signature. Currently I'm enjoying a Portnoy 3, Bonade or Rovner lig, and either Vandoren trad. 3.5's or V16 3's.

I have 10 other soprano clarinets in Albert and Boehm systems that I doodle around with from time to time.

Dave Dolson

Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member
Clarinetfellow: Welcome aboard.

The original question was about your set-up . . . meaning, what mouthpiece, ligature, and reed do you use? Maybe more importantly . . . why? You may want to tell us your skill-level and what type of music you play with your Buffet.

For example, I've been playing for 50 years - mostly soprano saxophone. But my clarinet is a Buffet RC Prestige (backed up by an R-13, a Silver-King, and a couple of Albert Systems - Conn and Buescher). I use a Vandoren 66 mouthpiece with a soft Fibracell reed and usually a metal two-screw ligature. I play exclusively traditional (New Orleans style) jazz. DAVE

In the clarinet case for concert band: Ridenour Lyrique, Morgan RM15, Gonzalez FOF 2.75.
In the alto sax claripack case for big band: Leblanc Classic II, Morgan and Gonzalez. Ligs are Bonade and Luyben.

Note: this does not indicate that I think the Leblanc is better for big band. It means I am too lazy to move clarinets from case to case, and I find both clarinets a pleasure to play.

Last edited:
My setup has changed quite a bit since I posted it over a year ago. Now I'm playing the same R13 with a Backun Fatboy barrel, Backun bell, Grabner K13 mouthpiece, BG lig, Vandoren V12 3.5, and a Ton Kooiman thumb rest. All of the changes have been positive in their own way and I've never been happier with my clarinet playing.

Ed

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
How do you like your Grabner?

I highly recommend his pieces for bass clarinet and am impressed with the Grabner I have for soprano clarinet.

I play an early 80's Buffet R-13. I have Fobes barrels in 65, 66, and 67 lengths. My two favorite mouthpieces are a early 1960's Ithaca Bay and a Wells mouthpiece with a very peculiar shaped window, kinda like a keyhole slot.

I play Vandoren v12's in 3.5 or 4 depending on chops strength and a Vandoren optimum ligature with the tone plate with two rails.

I have an plastic Accent clarinet. I don't know much about the brand, my mom got it for me back in early 2005 when I really wanted to play the clarinet.

No matter what quality of brand and model it is, it does all it needs to do for my casual clarinet playing, since I don't play it in any ensembles. (nor do I have the skill to at the moment. =P)

Groovekiller

Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member
Buffet R-13 clarinet, circa 1961. Wells mouthpiece refaced by Erik Greiffenhagen with a Morgan RM-28 facing. I've also used a Morgan RM-28.

I've played clarinets better than mine and I used a Vandoren B46 for years but I never found another B46 I liked as much. You're better off with the Morgan.

Clarinet Setup

Couesnon (Monople?) Bb (and A)
Barrel looks like it could be an old Conn tuning barrel (screws up and down instead of click with a good bit of metal in it. REALLY opened my sound up! But haven't been able to find info on it anywhere.)
Genussa Excellente GE* Mouthpiece
Rico Grand Concert 3's but thinking about V12s and seeing how they do me.

Heckelphone

Double Reed CE
Staff member
CE/Moderator
Don't even remember my soprano...

Leblanc 350; Clark Fobes "San Francisco" mpc; rovner lig; Vandoren #3 reeds :-D

Oh, waht a brand pool!

That's mine:

1x Amati maestro m500 (Bb, full incl. flat E)
1x NoName ebonite (Bb, full, appr. 30 years old)
1x Durbin CL-116 (Bb plastic, who's figuring out this brand is a professional at all;-)
1x Weinberger (like the Durbin:)
1x ORFEI (should be Bb, on the way to a museum, it's a "well done" Ucraine instrument, appr. 10-20 yers old and in "fresh released" condition)
1x vintage German type wooden clarinet modified barrel (Bb, for france MPC bored, appr. 1910 student model)

MPCs: a few acrylic and ebonite noname (some vintage models without marking), Selmer C, Rico Royal B5, Rico La Voz, Amati ???, Vandoren B45 lyre

Remark: I'm not a professional musician, I'm a technician with historical scientific background.

kindly
Roman

1x Buffet R13 Bb
1x Buffet E11 A
1x Ridenour Basset A
1x Woodwind Eb Soprano
1x Amati 351 C
1x Conn rubber Eb Alto
1x Leblanc Paris Eb Alto
1x Conn bass to E
1x Yamaha YCL 221II bass clarinet
1x Vito EEb Contra
1x Ridenour BBb Contra

Bobby M.

Noblet 40 with a Vandoren B46
as well as an old Selmer Bundy

The Bundy is probably in a better state of adjustment, and it's still easily outplayed by the much more ergonomic Noblet (afterall, two summers ago, a whole colony of ants took up residence in it, with the queen's harem located in the barrel. I haven't yet gone properly through it again as it's a bit sticky)

Steve

Clarinet CE/Moderator
Staff member
CE/Moderator
The Bundy is probably in a better state of adjustment, and it's still easily outplayed by the much more ergonomic Noblet (afterall, two summers ago, a whole colony of ants took up residence in it, with the queen's harem located in the barrel. I haven't yet gone properly through it again as it's a bit sticky)
Where were you storing that Bundy ?