Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

What is your Clarinet setup ?

I just recently changed my clarinet setup. Used to play a Vandoren B40/13 with #3 blue box Vandorens.

My B40s were going on 20+ years old, and had both had the facings tweaked a few times.

I moved to a Ron Caravan mouthpiece for a while, as it plays well with the #3 blue box reeds, but it wasn't quite what I was looking for.

Got a new Walter Grabner K13* last week. That piece, with #3.5 V12 Vandorens is exactly what I wish I had 20 years ago! I feel like a real clarinet player again.

My setup is.

Leblanc Concerto J.D Hite D mouthpiece, Vandoren 3 1/2 V.12 Reeds

Leblanc Classic II (LL) Vandoren B45 mouthpiece, 3 1/2- 4 V.12 Reeds.

1969 Selmer Series 9
Either a Vandoren 5RV or the Chicago Kaspar (see the thread on it from earlier this month)
Vandoren V12 3.5
Rovner lig

1969 Selmer Series 9
Either a Vandoren 5RV or the Chicago Kaspar (see the thread on it from earlier this month)
Vandoren V12 3.5
Rovner lig
Well I'm typically using a Vandoren M15 now, otherwise my Kaspar is still a backup with an uneven facing.

I'm playing a somewhat tweaked B & H Imperial with another one as a backup. An E11 in C and a metal Selmer for fun. I also have a Vito plateau clarinet for days when my arthritis is making itself known. I mostly use a Clark Fobes San Fransisco CF+ with Rue Lepic 3's. Among my less frequently played clarinets are a couple of Pustophons, one Boehm and one Oehler, a couple of B & H Edgwares and a 1010, a pre-WW2 Conn, a Leblanc Bass, a Rudolph Eubel Bb, a Louis of London from 1927, a Jerome Thibouville Lamy from around 189X, a pre-R13 Buffet from the 30's plus a motley assortment of others.
Tony F.

On my Big Easy Leblanc I alternate between a very old, no nane kard rubber mouthpiece with a nicket silver lay and a Stowell Wells & Schneider B2hard rubber. I previously played an OBrien 4 OCB, however (sob) it fell off a table and is no more. Off and on againworking with a Pomerico jazz facing. Oleg ligature is outstanding! Other ligatures used are Vandoren and Mitchell Lurie. Reeds are Signature cut Legere 2.5 and 3 and Rico Grand Concert Evolution #3. My other clarinet is a Buffet made in 1906, wrap-around octave key and it plays fine. I like the big bores. One of my students is using my 1946 Selmer BT. Anybody seen a Richards Silhouette clarinet? It is a large bore (.591) with distictively shaped leys made of Beryllium nickel. I did guality control work for RMC in 1962 when they closed down the clarinet plant. Only about 40 horns survived. I'd love to find one..

Anybody seen a Richards Silhouette clarinet?

fuy77h.jpg

Well I'm typically using a Vandoren M15 now, otherwise my Kaspar is still a backup with an uneven facing.
Well I got my Kaspar back from refacing last week and it most definitely plays well...
It's my main mouthpiece now. (at least on my Series 9 Bb. It sounds brighter than I want on my K-Series A.)
Speaking of the Grabners mentioned above, I'm hoping to try one of his bass mpcs when I'm at Clarinetfest later this month... (and hopefully buy it, too. =P )

My "good" Bb is a 1999 Buffet R13, 5RV VanD. mouthpiece. Also own Buffet Eb, A and C. And 6 other Bbs for a total of 10. One is Blue. Yes, I said Blue.
I practice a lot on my student model Selmer recently purchased for $175 C$ (tax included).

Well I've found all of my 3.5s have been rather hard this semester, so down to 3s! Otherwise same Kaspar, Rovner, Series 9 Bb, and K Series A! I have found a Pomarico works better on my C, though!
And TM, what model is the Selmer?

I started learning clarinet 10 years ago. I rarely play if, usually as a double in big band and then only on 2nd and 3rd parts. But I inherited my wife's Buffet R13 Festival with a Buffet Moenning barrel, and a Hite Premiere mouthpiece (lovely and easy playing for rookies like me) with a splurge Optimum lig. The instrument plays itself, such a lovely beastie, I use a #3 Plasticover on all of my doubles so that I don't have to keep the reed wet for the few times in a gig that I pick it up. There are no new parts to this setup, I got volunteer pieces from other players. I seriously don't deserve such a fine instrument.

I only have one horn, an R13 silver key in Bb.

My classical setup is: Vandoren BD5 and 56 Rue Lepic or V12 3.5.

My jazz setup is: Vandoren 5JB and Blue Box 1.5s.

Back
Top Bottom