Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

What's your listening medium of choice?

Merlin

Content Expert/Moderator
Staff member
CE/Moderator
I just got a Sony 4GB player recently, and find I'm actually spending more time listening than I have in a while.

4GB isn't much, and I tend to rip my tracks at 320kb, but I still haven't filled this sucker up.

Sound quality is really good; better than any other unit I checked out.

I have a Sandisk Sansa but I'm having issues getting it to sync with Rhapsody. These days I mostly listed to online sources. Either Rhapsody or pandora.com. Just depends if I'm focused on a particular artist and album or if I want to get a flavor of a genre.

National Public Radio or Xtra Sports Radio (they're national, in the US).

My MP3 player is a Dell DJ 20gb. A few years old, but good storage and works on XP, Vista and 2K -- haven't tried it in 7.

I have a 4 GB iPod that I take to the office and while driving. We use a 60 GB ipod for the main home entertainment. My home computer has just over 100 GB in itunes. All those CDs go in the attic :-D

Would it surprise you if I said I have a 30 GB Zune? It's two years old and has:
  • 94 videos
  • 6 audio playlists
  • 508 albums representing 358 artists
and stuff. I have 12.3 GB still available to fill. :cool:
You at least get a discount, right? :)

I'm seriously jonesing for an iPod Touch because there's a game called "Crayon Physics" (http://www.crayonphysics.com/) that's for that platform (recently released for PC -- and I have a laptop that has a touch screen, lying around ...).

I have a 4 GB iPod that I take to the office and while driving. We use a 60 GB ipod for the main home entertainment. My home computer has just over 100 GB in itunes. All those CDs go in the attic :-D
I have a terabyte brick (drive connected to network) with nothing but jazz songs. I don't think I've ever made my way through the whole thing. So many songs, so little time. :cool:

I have many mediums

one is where my favorite Rhapsody in Blues albums .. 33s are ...
another is my old fav cassaette tapes of Maynard Furgeson, et all
of course, alot (by my terms) of CD - mostly classical and jazz

then my computer is hooked up to my stereo (Sony ES reciver/amplifier) with some hefty 16 inch woofer speakers + other for low to midrange and other speakers to help handle the upper mid to tweeters. On the PC I have only about 12 GB of music.

of course, the PC can record from & play to the stereo .. so one of these days i'll RIP the RIB and MFs to the computer.

then I use my phone which is a samsung something-or-another cellphone with a 8GB memoy card with built in MP3 player for some music on the go.

I normally use some Motorola S9 stereo bluetooth headphones for listening to the cellphone, which auto interrupts and pauses the music on any incoming phone calls. then continues when completed. The headset does take phone calls. I can adjust volume and tracks from the headset .. the only "neato" gadget i really have.

and yes, if you really push the bass speakers and keep your feet too close, your feet will go numb =-)

Last edited:
iTunes for me . . . several iPods and an iPhone, but I often use my computer (iMac) to listen to iTunes or www.redhotjazz.com. Two of my cars have iPod connections through the sound systems.

I still have several LPs and cassettes sitting around waiting for that day I'm motivated to convert them to CD and put them into iTunes. The process is tedious regardless of what the various makers of conversion processes tell you. DAVE

A combo of my Mac and iPhone. I use the Bang & Olufsen EarSet 3 earbuds for most of my listening with the iPhone. They sound great.

In the car I also listen to the local classical/jazz FM station (90.1 FM from Temple University).

Mp3 CD's. I have an Alpine player in the car in the garage (It just needs the pistons put back in) and a portable disc player I carry around occasionally. I listen to vintage radio programs more than anything else pre-recorded. A 5 band parametric EQ does wonders for noise reduction on some of those old shows.

iTunes for me mainly - I have the computer hooked up to my vintage 1976 stereo system (although with AR7 speakers rather than the original AR6, which are a little large for having right in your face). I finally (a few months ago) bought myself a 4GB iPod which I find I mainly use hooked up to the car sound system.

1. Studio equipment at the office
  2. A very old, low-capacity portable MP3 player when I'm out walking
  3. The cable company's jazz audio channel in the house
  4. XM Radio in my wife's car
  5. CDs in my car
My car's radio has a CD player but no cassette player. I have no way to connect the XM Radio or an iPod to it. With cassettes gradually going out of use, how do the newer devices connect to a car's stereo?

I have one of those FM transmitter devices from Radio Shack, but it has a lot of audio quality problems and dropout, which is probably due to RFI.

Al: My 535i has a direct connection with the car's sound system. Plug in the iPod and the screen shows it, plus all the folders, artists, tune-list, and it powers the iPod. The sound system's controls work the iPod. Works great.

My MDX has a similar connection but it doesn't offer the easy control that the BMW has nor does it power the device. Still, the sound from the iPod goes directly into and through the system.

The connection point is buried in BMW's and Acura's center consols' storage boxes

With my SC430 (Lexus) I need to use one of those FM-transmitter things plugged into the 12-volt power point, but it allows me to go through all FM stations across the dial until I find a free station. It too works okay but I prefer the direct connections. DAVE

I have a few MP3 players, but my main one and the only one I bought is my 30GB iPod.

I had smaller MP3 players, two of which my sister gave me. One I lost, the other I used for a while. It was only 256 MB, though. The neat thing about it was that it had radio so I mainly used it to listen to the radio... Particularly in the my Java class I had the year before my high school banned MP3 players. :emoji_rolling_eyes:

Sometime that year my parents bought me a 1GB iPod Nano. I liked it, but it simply did not hold enough space and I was incredibly sick of having to choose which songs I wanted and which I did not since my music interest and library was expanding, so during the summer of 2007 I got me the 30GB iPod Classic, which has been awesome.

I like 78 RPM records. I enjoy the surface noise, crackles and pops. Plus, when I get really tired of a record, I smash it and use the dust to fill holes when I pin cracks in clarinets.

Creative Zen Vision W for most of my stuff, has great sound quality. I have a file server with 2tb of storage that hosts that and the rest of my music and DVD collection. I have a Media Center PC hooked up to the TV/sound system. Probably the best OS Microsoft has had since Windows 3.1

I would be digging Windows 7, but for some reason it blue screens all the time *get on that Jim

Creative Zen Vision W for most of my stuff, has great sound quality. I have a file server with 2tb of storage that hosts that and the rest of my music and DVD collection. I have a Media Center PC hooked up to the TV/sound system. Probably the best OS Microsoft has had since Windows 3.1

I would be digging Windows 7, but for some reason it blue screens all the time *get on that Jim
Sigh... you do know it's a beta release right? Also, try to imagine how many 'hardware environments' that team (I'm on the CRM team) to test it in to get to your particular set up. I'm just sayin...

1. my mac
2. my pda
3. my phone

And if I had a choice, I would always listen to music in the studio at school because it sounds soooo amazing!!!!

I know it's on beta. I love the OS so far, tons of great features, and the minimal system resources it uses is AWESOME. I prefer it to Red Hat Linux which is my main OS *Red Hat's headquarters are on our campus, so it makes it great to have free operating systems, and it's good anyway*

All the blue screens are all driver problems, so I'm not too concerned. What gets me is it was fine for probably 2 weeks, and with no hardware changes, it decided to bluescreen after about 20 minutes or so after reboot. I'm still excited for the full release though, going to blow vista out of the water.

Anyway back to subject.
I use Windows Media Player/Center almost exclusively now. I could never stand itunes, and had problems with it's proprietary file types, and didn't like the amount of system resources it takes up. WMP is a much better program IMHO, and since it's compatible with almost every mp3 player on the market, it makes sense to use it. Much more user friendly though.

I do use Mythdora's media player for my linux machine, but well, Windows and Linux don't like eachother much, so not much of a choice there.

Back
Top Bottom