What's your listening medium of choice?

I would be digging Windows 7, but for some reason it blue screens all the time

That's too bad. I'm bootcamping with OSX and windows 7 beta. I've never had a blue screen of death with 7. Everything runs great 99% of the time.

Agreed ... Vista is going down LMAO

For classical, I prefer 15 IPS open reel, through a decent amp, into B&W 801F speakers.

For jazz, 30 IPS open reel, through a decent amp, into B&W 801F speakers.

If it's critical listening, I go to a friend that has a studio with these. Brutally honest speakers:
http://www.barefootsound.com/products_mm27.html

Otherwise, I just listen on the computer (for youtube etc.), or iPod nano over my Sony 7506 earphones. I'm used to them.

Truthfully, I'm really into live concerts. They sound the best, even if the performance is off...

That's too bad. I'm bootcamping with OSX and windows 7 beta. I've never had a blue screen of death with 7. Everything runs great 99% of the time.

Agreed ... Vista is going down LMAO

I fixed it. Our university requires all computers to have some sort of antivirus on it, and after uninstalling said antivirus program it runs like a charm. Now our firewall gets to scan everything even more, oh well.

My live listening medium is on a pair of JBL prx535's with a pair of JBL PRX518 subs. Both of these are powered, and hooked up to an Allen and Heath MixWizard in our dorm room. Our computers and various other things are hooked up. This seems to work well, spare the risk of noise violations. That setup is really used for our a cappella concerts, but they live in my room anyway. Sony MDR-v900HD is my headphone preference, but standard creative earbuds for places where I can't wear earmuffs

agreed, they do get rather hot, but i try to keep the room around 65, and I keep my hair pretty short, so it's not usually a problem. They sound great though, and do a lot of noise cancelling on their own which is nice when my roommate decides to drum on anything solid. he has an electric drumset, but decides to play it over the speakers instead of headphones most of the time. oh well.

I like the MDR-V600's. My father gave them to me some years ago and they're plenty good enough.

I listen to lots of radio. Mainly jazz. Here in the NYC metro area, we have two jazz stations, one full time, and the other 16 to 18 hours a day. I like radio because it keeps my mind active. I try to figure out who's playing on any given recording at any time. Many of the saxophone players I can figure out, so I move to the other horn player(s), then to the piano, bass, and drums. Same deal with singers and large ensembles.

I also appreciate having to listen to music that I don't like. And I get lots of that on the radio. I try to figure out what's bugging me about the piece, and try to determine if I'm coming from a closed minded perspective, or is it because this is a truly bad piece of music that I'm listening to.

I make it a rule to play at least the melody of the last tune playing on the radio when I turn it off to begin my daily practice routine. I've been starting on flute lately, so this is really challenging. I can't rewind the radio, so it forces me to retain as much info as possible while it's playing. Good for ear training. Todays tune was Michel LeGrand, 'Watch What Happens'. Key of C.

Back
Top Bottom