Where do you buy your reeds?

Ed

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Where does everyone buy their reeds?

I've bought some off eBay and a lot locally when I can find what I want in the strength I need and of course from online vendors such as wwbw.com and prowinds.

Reeds were easier to some degree when I was playing fibracells but I've gone back to cane on everything except soprano.

I buy them from Dave at Junkdude's. He takes Paypal and is more then reasonable with his shippingcosts across the pond. Last time I checked wwbw wanted $35 for shipping one box across the pond. I always order for some friend to, $6.75 for 8 boxes shipping from Dave. Very nice guy to deal with.

Reactions: Ed
Mmmm. Maybe list what KIND of reeds for WHAT instrument(s). This is the WOODWIND forum, ya know :D ....

e.g.,

Vandoren Modele Jazz 3.5 for Baritone Saxophone -- U-Crest Music, Cheektowaga, NY
Vandoren (plain) 3.5 for Bb clarinet -- U-Crest Music, Cheektowaga, NY

(BTB, if anyone's seen Wally recently, say "Hi" to him for me.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Squealydan on ebay for fibracells, and Weiners clearance section or the local store for cane. I could do better online than the local guy, but he is a good guy and I'd hate to see his business close.

From a local music store.

Apparently, I'm not going to be so lucky for long because the reed company went out of business or something. (that's what my teacher told me anyways.)

I'll probably start buying them online, or attempt making them myself (apparently I won't get very many good reeds in attempting to make them.)

Ed, I take it from your post that you're no longer dealing in Fibracells. Was it my imagination, or were you selling them for a while through Chicago Mouthpieces?

Because I play Fibracells exlusively, I bought all my reeds from Charlie A's, but because I tend to buy by the truck load full, haven't needed to buy any since Charlie passed away. Now, I don't know where I'll get them. The brick and morter stores, even the big chains around here like Long and McQuade, charge ridiculous amounts of money...Nearly double of what I was paying.

I am not a huge fan of WW&BW. I've been burned too many times by them.

I was carrying them but I found that most people just ordered one or two and it took more time than it was worth to ship them out. If you shoot me a PM with what strengths you are looking for I may be able to sell you some of the remaining stock that I've been meaning to put on eBay.

I've had good luck with them and still carry them in the bag in case of an emergency. I went back to cane on tenor and then alto. I still play fibracells on soprano. I pretty much always played cane on baritone. I still like them but found I missed the feel of cane.

I used to buy my Fibracells from Charlie, then from Ed (personal delivery via bicycle!). Lately I have been using these guys:

http://www.usareeds.com/fibracell-reeds.html

Good prices and reasonable shipping (at least in the US). They have been out of stock on certain items occasionally, but will fill the backorder in a week or two.

I don't go through a lot of reeds. Almost every one works for me after I taught myself to adjust them.

I did buy my latest supply of Fibracells from Ed, but those last a long time and I use them only in limited applications.

I always include reeds on any birthday/Christmas/Father's Day gift lists, so my family often buys a box or two for me as gifts. When I DO have to buy them locally, I buy at local stores and they usually discount them for known customers. Even if they don't, I don't buy enough to sweat the retail costs.

Scimonetti's in Lancaster, CA, Baxter-Northrup in Sherman Oaks and Nick Rail's in Canyon Country are stores I frequent. DAVE

Mr. Svoboda delivers you reeds personally, by bike?

It only happened once, but it sure was convenient. Talk about customer service!

Does that increase (or hurt) my chances of becoming a "distinguished member"?

Wow. So I can see from reading this thread that my reed obtaining technique is totally lacking of style and creativity. No, I don't procure my means of vibratory motivation through the wonders of cyberspace, nor does Ed deliver mine personally while utilizing von Drais' prize invention.

Like Dave Dolson, I don't go through that many. I shave new reeds until they play the way I want them to, and I'm able to get great mileage out of them.

When it's time to buy, I head to Sam Ash where my friend gives me her best discount. She's very attractive, so they're advantages to buying at Sam Ash!

Pete,

I'm lucky that saxhound only lives about 10 or 12 miles away. The weather has been so lousy and when it has been good I've been out of town or busy doing something around the house. I haven't been on my bike for more than a few miles at any given time this year so far.

I picked up some old brown box Rico's from eBay last week as well as some other private label (made by Rico) reeds for Bari.

Back
Top Bottom