Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Woodwind Forum Calendar Fundraiser ...

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
... and a few other things.

1. As a favor to Ed, to help defray the operating costs of this forum, I will be creating a woodwind calendar, very much like my http://thesax.info calendars (see http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fStoreID=1358770http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fAcctID=559631).

2. I will still be doing a saxophone calendar for 2010 and for all eternity -- or until the pics stop coming in.

3. I also have a saxophone book project.

These are all separate things. I just wanted to mention them all in one thread.

Detailed information for each is on my blog at http://www.thesax.info.

You can e-mail pics to my Gmail account at thesaxinfo@gmail.com or contact me and we can make other arrangements.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quick Details:

* You need to send me pics. As big as possible (seriously). As many as possible. All the same size.

+ For the WF calendar, any woodwind pic is fine.
+ For my calendar or book project, it must have a saxophone in the pic.

> Please, no pics with people or with copyrighted music. <

* You need to fill out a release (PDF form).
* You can make some money from one or all of the projects, depending on how much you submit. (Provided your pics are suitable.)

-> My share of the profits (minus the cost of proofs) for the WF calendar go directly to Ed.

Again, go to my blog for full details (where you can find exact picture size requirements, profit splits, etc.).

Please, please, please send me pictures as soon as possible. for details, see http://www.woodwindforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=31972&postcount=138.

The absolute last date I can receive submissions is SEPTEMBER 1.

My projects this year are:

For the Sax calendar the definitive picture set for the Eppie to low A.

For the WF calendar shots of the late 1800s boxwood clarinet that I purchased last year. It didn't have a barrel, thus the low price, but Steve's fabricating one for me that I suspect will look just like the original.

KeySideBoxwood.jpg

I would welcome both.

Jim, you could even go with the boxwood clarinet and your piccolo that's in this year's calendar.

TTT, I think that Marigaux is one of the nicest looking clarinets I've ever seen and the roller mechanism is unique, both of which are reasons to have photos in the calendar.

Your pics are good, on that website, but they are too small for the calendar. I could blow 'em up a bit, but if you can take bigger, that's better. Much better. (While the pics look large on screen, the printing "process" essentially reduces the size by over 1/3. At least, that's the easiest way of looking at it.)

Hey, Grant: I know you've got some nice horns. And maybe you could convince that dealer to send pics of that new contrabassoon ....

Which reminds me: dealers are welcome to send pics. I've had several dealers do so in the past.

Pics to follow

Hi Pete,

Yes, I plan to send you a boatload of pictures, sometime later this spring. ;-)

Will look into the contrabassoon.

Grant

Hi Pete

Could you mention some guidelines please?

Orientation (portrait or landscape)
Proportion (eg 6 x 4)

I seem to remember that you do not want a dark background for printing reasons. I must admit to taking all my instrument photos with a dark background eg my Yanagisawa A600 or one of my Monopoles below:

a600comp.jpg

monopolecomp.jpg

So with a dark background, narrow crop and portrait orientation I am guessing that my Rudall Carte bass photo is not much use to you, but if it is the sort of instrument you would like me to have a shot and submit a photo of, do let me know

IMG_4898.jpg

Chris

Chris, thanks for your support.

In the past, I posted everything that is now on my Wiki in a post and people generally ignored it, so I didn't bother, this year.

* As a rule, you're correct: dark backgrounds don't do well. The printing process seems to make everything a bit darker and that makes dark backgrounds, well, really dark. I recommend a soft-colored background, e.g. "baby blue" but not "midnight navy blue". Your dark blue with the bass isn't bad, actually, and that case is rather kewl.

* Quoting my Wiki, "Lulu, the publisher, wants at least 2625 x 3375 pixels at 300 dpi and preferably 4125 x 5775 at 500ppi. For all submissions, including if you can't take pictures that big, please send me multiple EQUAL SIZED pictures and MULTIPLE POSES of your horn."

Remember, the calendars are 11" x 8.5" and 13.5" x 19". The book will be 10" x 8". Both are shorter than they are wide.

As mentioned previously, I can blow up pics a bit with GIMP, but over 150%, it starts looking granular. Multiple pics can help with this.

* Regarding what KIND of pics, I generally say, "Go to www.vintagesax.com and browse. Those will give you an idea."

If the pics are EQUAL-SIZED, I really don't care how they're oriented, because I can flip them about in GIMP.

As a general note, alto sax and lower are relatively easy to compose because they're "fat". Soprano clarinets, flutes, etc. are skinny, so they generally get the "mosaic" treatment, i.e. multiple pics from different angles, when I put them into the calendars.

FWIW, I could probably lighten your pics slightly in GIMP and they'll look fine. They just need to be a bit bigger.

Pete

Thanks for that. I misunderstood you when you mentioned equal-sized. I thought that was each of the same picture quality and dimensions ie equal to each other. What I understand from your post is that for equal sized I can interpret as square?

Finally, how much of the editorial digital darkroom do you want control over? Would you like RAW pictures, or would you like them converted to JPEG, with levels, white balance, sharpness and crop (and other digital trickery) already done?

Chris

I thought that was each of the same picture quality and dimensions ie equal to each other.
This would be accurate. Sorry for any confusion.

I can convert practically any format. If you can send something in a "lossless" format, like XCF, that's great. If not, JPEG is fine.

If you want to use digital trickery to make the photos look as good as possible, that's great. Please note that I may still have to resize or crop them.

Update, with two months to go:

While I am still wallowing in my last college class (ends at the end of August), I wanted to say that I haven't yet gotten enough photos for the WooF calendar, much less my saxophone calendar. Please send in pics!

Update, with about a week to go:

* There will be no specific WF calendar. Way too few submissions from WF people. Sorry 'bout that.
* There will be a sax-and-related calendar, including much bigger pics of TicTacTux's Marigaux clarinet.

HOWEVER, I am still short a couple horns for the calendar. Please send more! (I know Gandalfe said that he'll try to send me something a little late.) I really need to get things crackin' by September 1 to get my proofs and such back from Lulu.com.

Update, with about a week to go:

* There will be no specific WF calendar. Way too few submissions from WF people. Sorry 'bout that.
* There will be a sax-and-related calendar, including much bigger pics of TicTacTux's Marigaux clarinet.

HOWEVER, I am still short a couple horns for the calendar. Please send more! (I know Gandalfe said that he'll try to send me something a little late.) I really need to get things crackin' by September 1 to get my proofs and such back from Lulu.com.

I could take some breathtaking pictures of my Bundy Alto clarinet just to please Terry, but the rest of my honk rack is soberingly unspectacular.
And I couldn't convince Thomas Inderbinen yet to build me a hand-hammered bass clarinet...(I'm dreaming of some sort of a tiny paperclip)

Ah yes, I had a funny feeling that was the one. You didn't buy it from him did you? Although it isn't technically "for sale", he did say he would sell it to me. Despite the economy, I suspect I'd still need to sell a kidney to pay for it... ;-)

Back
Top Bottom