Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Woodwind Forum Calendar Fundraiser ...

I see a ophicleide too Gandalfe.. those are the ancestors of the sax right? Does it go on Pete's calendar? Oh but wait... it's a brasswind.
Pete is the one to decide these matters. I was kinda disappointed to lose over 25 shots when one of the data chips on my camera crapped out. Thank goodness I alway use two cameras. But I certainly didn't get the best pictures because of the hardware malfunction.

Nice pics anyway Jim, of a couple of very rare beasties. Now I am regretting that I didn't talk to Matt again and get the Roth... I just committed to buying a couple of very rare tenors... Something I can actually use. While the roth would be über cool, what the heck would I really do with it? (I'm being rhetorical, please don't answer... Even if you have one! :-D) Besides, maybe Matt wouldn't really want to part with it if it came right down to it. (Don't answer that either. :))

Last edited:
I see a ophicleide too Gandalfe.. those are the ancestors of the sax right? Does it go on Pete's calendar? Oh but wait... it's a brasswind.
Remember: with a Rothophone :).

I generally try to have one or two insanely interesting things in my calendars, be it a straight bari sax or a nice cartoon from Kim Pelletier or some such. Hey, I've already mentioned that TTT's Marigaux clarinet will be in the calendar.

I've had a picture, from Rob Verdi, of a tenor Rothophone, but the pic really didn't come out that well for something as large format as the calendar: the thing's so skinny, there's a lot of empty space. Pairing the Roth with the Oph, now that's a kewl idea. Additionally, Matt, the owner of the horns, said that the Oph is a C bass, which is essentially the horn that A Sax put a single-reed mouthpiece on and said, "Hmm. This sounds pretty decent. I wonder if I can improve it."

Current line-up:

* 1970-ish Silver plated Dolnet M70 tenor sax
* 1866-ish Bare brass Lecreusett & Quandieu Bb soprano sax (almost 100% an A. Sax copy)
* 1924 Silver plated Buescher Bb bass saxophone
* 1951 Conn 28M alto, 1936 Conn 26M alto, and 1937 Conn 26M VIII alto (all three in one shot; delacquered, silver plated and lacquered, respectively)
* The above mentioned Rothophone and Ophicliede
* Gold plated SML tenor sax (sorry; don't remember the year, ATM; sorry!)
* 2002/3 SML Margiaux Symphonie Model Bb clarinet
* Lacquer, Martin-made Lyric Eb alto sax (I have to research what it's a stencil of and when it was made, but it's pretty)
* ca. 1960 Selmer Eb alto sax with additional factory keywork
* Couple sopranos and a Soprillo (Gandalfe's pic)

You'll notice that that's 10 pics. I'm short 2 months and a cover. I've had a couple people e-mail me and said that they'll try to get me stuff, shortly, but if you've been sitting on a pic or two, send 'em my way!

I finally have enough submissions for 2010. However, if y'all want, submissions for 2011 will be fine.

I am more-or-less planning on devoting 2010 to writing the book I keep talking about. However, if I get enough calendar submissions quickly enough, I'll be able to do that, too!

Progressing! I was able to make temporary compositions of each picture and post them to Lulu's calendar maker to see how they looked. After several attempts to get the sizing juuuust right, I'm fairly pleased. I have a couple-three pics that I need to resize, but it looks good.

I also have to yell at Lulu to see if I can fix the spacing for holidays. It used to be something like:

Peter Hales' Birthday!
(International Holiday)

Now it's ...

Peter Hales
Birthday!
(International
Holiday)

... and that doesn't look that good. I'll try to play with the fonts. If I can. There's also probably a hidden character I can insert to make it do the spacing I want.

All pics are now resized for the large calendar and properly formatted -- at least, according to Lulu's format tools (I still buy calendar proofs to make sure everything looks OK).

I'll be tackling the "holidays" this week!

Remember I share a birthday with Mr. Conn. I'm not kidding. January 29th.

PROOFS ARE ONLINE!

If you submitted a pic for the calendar, please check out the reduced-sized JPG proofs online at http://thesax.info/2010-calendar/ and e-mail me if I made any mistakes (thesaxinfo@gmail.com).

Please note that these JPGs are for the big calendar. I may change the poses a bit for the small calendar. I just want to make sure I've got your attributions right!

(Almost forgot: the white space on some of the pictures is intentional, for the binding and/or real page format.)

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be tackling the "holidays" this week!
Don't forget my Queen, please. Oldest existing monarchy in the world (no power whatsoever but who cares).

Beautiful calender - yay!

Buescherbass in one word is a new word in my vocabulary. "Must have Buescherbass"...something bordering on Tolkienesque evilness about it...

Finally, I got the little calendar done and I've ordered a proof.

Lulu frustrates me to no end, sometimes: the sizes posted for picture size is all wrong and the event adding (i.e. the "holiday tool") is virtually worthless unless the holiday only has one word in it. Grrr.

Anyhow. Just venting. The proof of my big calendar has shipped and I'll hopefully get it by Friday.

I got the proof back of the big calendar yesterday and ...

It looks good. Really good.

There are two picture captions I still have to fix, but that's about it: the pictures are sized correctly and look decent. I will wait for the small calendar to come in, fix any problems with that, and then offer both for sale.

* Lulu says that they might have coupons available for "loyal customers". I'm checking into that.
* Lulu has streamlined their shipping prices a bit. I'll try to update y'all on that when the calendars are ready.
* Remember, the folks that have pics in this year's calendar can buy them at cost.

SO, here's what's happening:

* I got the proofs back of the big calendar and everything was close to perfect (see my previous post). Happy. I'm making the small changes that I needed to for some attributions. I should have this available for sale on-time, 11/1/2009.

* I got the proofs back for the small calendar and I wasn't impressed. The output was considerably different from than the WYSIWYG calendar creator program Lulu has led me to believe.

I have fixed the small calendar, as best as I could, and will put it on sale on 11/1, but please note that there may be some small problems with image sizes that I can't fix until my proofs come back in 2 weeks or so.

Back
Top Bottom