Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

WooF Member Recording Thread

Tenor? Wow, you sure got a low, growly sound out of the thing.

Sorry about the Quicktime issues. I don't know one from another and used what was provided.

TJ?

DAVE

Well, IE7 and Quicktime don't seem to get along. I told them to play together nice, but that didn't work either. Damm kids!!!

IE6 (what I'm using now), Safari, Firefox, Opera and all other browsers don't seem to have an issue with my website or Quicktime. Oh well, I'm not a programmer. Just a stressed out financial advisor / part time music junkie with (supposedly all compatiable) easy to use iWeb software and a Mac. I don't know if there's a fix out there. I'll have to research the iWeb boards for more info. Untill then, please try another (better?) browser. Sorry if you all been harmed in any way :oops:

Dave, you may want to try www.soundclick.com and open an account for your stuff. It's pretty easy to use.

Al, I give your track a listen when I get home.

Thanks, TJ. DAVE

Al, I could probably e-mail those clips to you if you'd like . . . or not. DAVE

Thanks, TJ. DAVE

Al, I could probably e-mail those clips to you if you'd like . . . or not. DAVE
Yes, I'd like to hear them. I always liked Si Tu Vois Ma Mere. I've been looking for lyrics to it for years, assuming that there are, in fact, lyrics.

Yes, the newer one. Vintage 1974 with a fresh overhaul. RPC 115R and a Alexander DC Superial 2.5.

I thought so. It sounds remarkably much like my jazz sound, that I get on my '72 VI. I use a Dukoff D7* & a Fibracell 2 1/2 though. There is something about the sound of the VIs, that just give them away.

Al: I sent you an e-mail from WooF asking for your address so I could send the sound clips.

There is a trombone/cornet player in the northwest (and maybe Vancouver, B.C.), Jim Armstrong. He played with our Montana band on several occasions and once we played SI TU VOIS at a festival in Washington.

He asked if he could join me on stage for the tune. It is normally just a soprano sax + rhythm thing, but I readily agreed. He is a strong player. Well, he sang it in French and it knocked the whole place out. I couldn't repeat one word of it now, but OH MY, what a moment. DAVE

I got them, Dave. Nice tracks. Si Tu Vois Ma Mere is a favorite of mine, and you did it very nicely. I really like your soprano tone.

I made another track last night. I rummaged around and found an accompaniment I recorded a few years ago and decided to add a sax track to it.

http://www.alstevens.com/alstevens/tunes/mp3s/ishouldcare.mp3

Al: Again, very nice. I just love melody - and take-offs on melody that don't dazzle listeners with rapid technique, but rather stay well inside the box. Good job - very listenable. DAVE

Looks like our old fogey tracks killed the thread, Dave. It sure got quiet in here.

Although I haven't replied much to this thread, I really like it. But it reminds me I haven't gotten my audio set up to record yet. I can do videos and audio with standard computer mics, but I have a two month old audio-technica AT2020 USB (cardioid condenser) mic that I keep trying to figure out to hook up. It really isn't a slap in USB connector and it just works kind of thang.

Besides this thread my other favorite example of self recording/publishing is Mathew Stone's Youtube site and SaxOblog. When I record myself, it really is a humbling exercise that usually leaves me very depressed.

Still I am intent on making this happen. So what do youse guys use for recording, especially if you use this kind of mic.

Last edited:
Jim: I don't (record myself, that is).

I have examples of my playing from various studio recordings I've made with bands over the years (LP's, audio-cassettes, and CD's).

A couple of years ago, a fan recorded me in my kitchen for a project on trad-jazz-improv (yet to be published). He had a smallish stereo-mic machine (I recall it was a digital recorder - maybe a Sony?) but the details are unknown to me. He transfered the audio to a CD for me. It turned out okay except for his commentary leading up to the start of a tune. I wish I could edit that out but alas, I don't know how.

I sympathize with your experiences with the results, though. On some recordings (mostly live, NOT in a studio), I wish my intonation was better (in tune with myself but NOT with the ensemble). I'm always conscious of that before a gig, trying to get in pitch with the piano, etc. When I hear some live recordings played back, I hit myself and wonder what in the heck I was thinking when I played THAT note!!! DAVE

I use a video camera to post to YouTube and a zoom to record just audio. But I want to set up a recording system that is always ready to go so that I can record without having to set things up. And I want to use the computer to mix thangs.

I'm sure there is a decent way to do this for under $1000 but the guides I've seen talk about the options without really going into the merits of each hardware/software choice.

I'm sure there is a decent way to do this for under $1000 but the guides I've seen talk about the options without really going into the merits of each hardware/software choice.
An old adage says, figure your budget, spend half that on a microphone, spend half on studio monitor speakers, and spend whatever is left over for a computer, software and a sound circuit.

For these latest recordings I'm using a Mac, Garage Band, 300 gig external firewire drive, Focusrite Saffire audio interface / mic pre-amp with an AKG C1000S condenser mic. You could likely put together a similar rig for about 2 grand.

I also have Tascam DR-1 for portable use and Logic Pro for more complex recordings.

Last edited:
XP, Sonar, an Aardvark DirectPro Q10 sound circuit, Yamaha NS-10M studio monitors, and a Shure M81 mic. The keyboard is a Kawai MP9000 going through an Oberheim Minigrand sound module. I do some postprocessing with Cool Edit Pro.

Back
Top Bottom