Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

WooF Member Recording Thread

I finally got around to doing a video with the alto clarinet. Is geek the new cool? I don't know but I'm all for it :-D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L04_Vwc_A_E

Thanks for watching,
TJ

TJ....man, I smiled all the way through that. My hat is off to your creativity, and you always manage to get a whimsical vibe with your work. I'm sure that Mal Waldron would be happy with how you presented his tune.

Julian

Note, some people think I come across as harsh. That is not my intent, but I do tend to focus on areas to work on more than what is already good in a performance. I am not a professiona and do not play one on TV.

TJ, are you taking lessons on the sax? You have great timing, but the sound is a little weak, something that I've been concentrating on for the last three months. I suspect it's about the airstream and vocalization of the notes. If you lived near Seattle, I'd give you some ideas including the dreaded long tone exercise (must be done correctly), blowing the sax against the wall, hot air on the mirror, singing in the car using the diaphram, etc. A good instructor or playing partner could work with you on these and within a short amount of time, you'd be making progress.

Personally I think I'm doing great until I record and listen to myself. It's a very humbling experience. But with the help of my instructors, I'm slowly making progress; progress I would not make if were not taking lessons.

Jim, I don't think you're being harsh. Your sharing your experience. That's cool :8

I was taking lessons for 3 1/2 years with Tim Price up till last year. I decided to take a break for awhile. I've spent the last 6 months or so just reviewing all the stuff we went over. Really working on the lessons I should already know. One of which is my timing. I guess that's starting to come together. Dynamics is another area I'm working on. The track may sound thin to you because I'm playing very softy at first. I'm typically full on and tend to overblow by nature. So, this is good for me go the other way. Still need better air support on those soft tones.

While I will restart my lessons sometime soon, I feel like I'm getting allot out this review thing I'm doing. The recordings are all a part of listening for signs of progress. Thanks for listening and comments,

TJ

I had some FUN last night. :)

<object width="640" height="385">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/z2VyLjBrtM0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="640" height="385"></object>

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aEE9KFTGMsc&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="640" height="385"></object>

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MFnrp-spnRI&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="640" height="385"></object>

Glenn, I was listening this morning to some of your recordings and thinking that youse guys were really having fun. For me it's really about the people I perform with. If'n they are friends, life is good. If they are too serious, well let's just admit that I don't do too many of those kind of gigs.

My 4 horn combo the Dissonance starts up in May for one gig this year. Another group fell through so we need to cover the gig. Hopefully the recordings will be good enough to post. And I mean that on a number of levels. :cool:

Jim,

The bass player, Bill Wingfield, asked me last Fall if I'd help him with a "Jazz Experiment" group to get his 12 year old son (drums) more opportunities to play. The original group was/is more of a workshop environment where others who want to work on their jazz chops can come and sit in. It's hard finding an all ages venue that will allow him to play.

The "Jazz Experience" ended up being an offshoot of that group when we got a monthly gig at the Inn at Morro Bay. The guitar player used to do a bunch of TV and Movie music writing/playing as a session player in LA. He and the bass player have several VERY high caliber musician friends that tend to show up and sit in.

Bill released a CD last year with many West Coast musicians.
https://www.cdbaby.com/cd/wingfield

Bill's dad was visiting from Northern California and sang a tune with us Saturday. Making, 3 generations of Wingfield's performing jazz. It's on my youtube page.

A VERY cool night, indeed!

Thanks for listening TJ.

I just got asked to play at a winery Saturday afternoon with the bass player from above, a drummer and guitar player. Should be fun. Also, Saturday night is my monthly big band gig.

The group posted above will be playing May 1 at the same Venue. I'm, actually, pretty busy the next 2 weekends. :)

My first recorded track posted :eek:)

Hey everyone,

Here is my first posted recording EVER on any site! LOL

http://www.sarahdale.ca/music/theincredibles.mp3

This is transcription, arrangement, orchestration, re-orchestration (you know everything and the kitchen sink) of some of my favourite music from Pixar's the Incredibles.

I originally performed this arrangement on my final recital last year and thought it would be fun to record it.

Hope you enjoy it!

~Sarah

==============================================

In case inquiring minds want to know here is the line-up:

Alto 1 - Andy Ballantyne -- (solo 4)
Alto 2 - Ryan Grist
Tenor 1 - Sarah Dale (me) -- (solo 2)
Tenor 2 - Jon Wong
Bari - Colleen Allen

Trumpet 1 - Steve Crowe -- (solo 3)
Trumpet 2 - Klaus Anselm
Trumpet 3 - Andrew McAnsh
Trumpet 4 - Lindsi Jennings

Bone 1 - Emily Ferrell
Bone 2 - Andrew Ludtke
Bone 3 - Rich Reid
Bass Bone - Michael Manchur

Guitar - Emily Burgess
Piano - Jesse Whiteley -- (solo 1)
Bass - Mike Archer
Drums - Lindsay Beaver

Recording Engineer - Nathan Moore
Mixing Engineer - Reuben Ghose
Mastering Engineer - Jeff Elliot

Produced by: Olivier Clements, Garrett Hack, Sarah Dale

Way tasty stuff Sarah. For some reason I thought you were in High School, but this music immediately made me realize that you were in college. Thanks for sharing. I wonder if I'll be buying music from you some time in the future. :cool:

'kay, so after listening to this four times now, how do I get the arrangement?

Way tasty stuff Sarah. For some reason I thought you were in High School, but this music immediately made me realize that you were in college.

Thanks! This is one of the tracks from my 4th year final project. :eek:)

Actually I am 7 days from finishing my Degree!

'kay, so after listening to this four times now, how do I get the arrangement?

It makes me happy to hear other people digging it. Since it's my arrangement, I guess the only place to get it from is me. :) lol

Brilliant ! Extremely professional, in the great tradition of the Mancini and al, swinging rhythm section and some real good soloes. Bravo.
J

's no good. Has no clarinets. :cry:

Seriously: A very professional arrangement, setup, performance and recording. Swings, rocks my boat. Well done!

Back
Top Bottom