Yamaha Model Numbers

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
I've seen this asked more than once and I've sent out a few e-mails to folks. Allow me to share, here, instead.

Introduction
Yamaha models are in the form of "YAS-23", which is generally stamped under the right-hand thumbrest. "Y" stands for "Yamaha", "A" stands for "Alto" and "S" stands for "Saxophone". It stands to reason that a "YTS-23" is a Yamaha Tenor Sax and a "YFL-23" is a Yamaha flute, etc.

The "-23" indicates what "level" the horn is marketed at: student, intermediate, etc. However, just the FIRST number is what you look at. In other words, a YAS-23 and YAS-275 are both student horns.

The second and/or third numbers in the model name (almost always) indicate how new the model is. In other words, the YAS-275 was introduced after the YAS-23, the YAS-62 was introduced before the YAS-62II, and the YBS-61 introduced before the YBS-62 -- but a YAS-855 isn't necessarily newer than a YAS-62. You've gotta keep in the same market: student, intermediate, etc.

Some of the pro models have some other interesting letters. We'll talk about them when I get there.

Model Numbers
01: (sometimes with trailing letters, like 01M), an Indonesian-made student model. Discontinued.
AD01: the "Advantage" (education market) version of the 23. Discontinued.
2x or 2xx, where "x" is a number: Student models. Examples: YAS-23, YAS-275. Discontinued models are the 21, 24, and 25. The 23 is also discontinued in some markets. The 23, 24, and 25 were almost identical, by the way. The 275 has more "Selmer Mark VI-like" keywork, but is wholly made in Indonesia, under Yamaha supervision.
32 or 34: Intermediate models. Direct replacement for some 52 models.
475: Intermediate model. Replacement for the 32/34/52 is SOME markets. Improvements over earlier intermediate models: dark lacquer, original 62 neck and nice engraving.
52: Discontinued intermediate model. Same as the 62, but with different lacquer, nylon keytouches (not pearl), no engraving, and two-piece bell.
575AL: Advanced intermediate model, sold under the "Allegro" (education market) stamp. It's essentially a Yamaha 62II with a two-piece bell.
61: Discontinued professional model.
62: Discontinued professional model. Completely redesigned over the 61.
62II: Professional model. Replacement for the 62. Improvements over the 62 include a new neck, octave key design and neck receiver. The brass composition is also different.
655: Discontinued professional soprano.
675: Current professional soprano. Over the 655, I *believe* the 675 also is supposed to have a redesigned neck and the new brass composition.
82Z: Custom professional model. Different bore than the 62II or 875. Two-piece bell, oddly enough.
855: Discontinued custom professional model. Different bore (smaller) than the 875.
875: Discontinued custom professional model. Sold at the same time as the 855. Possibly my favorite Yamaha.
875EX: (Sometimes appended with another letter that denotes the finish, e.g. "S" for "silver plate" or "G" for "gold plate". "EXHG" means the horn has an altissimo G key.) Custom professional model. Different brass composition than the 875 and a different neck. Tone holes have also been resized.

If you're wondering, the Yamaha 7x series was a series of custom professional clarinets.

===========

For more details on the Yamaha models, please visit my Wiki at http://www.thesax.info/mediawiki-1.10.0/index.php?title=Yamaha

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom