Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

You need to see this

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
I'm working on re-vamping my Yamaha Wiki pages. I've actually got a good deal of archived stuff, but I decided to work on sorting through some of my links today.

They're really, really kewl. Like the 20 minute long Yamaha factory tour video. And the podcasts.

Check it out: http://www.thesax.info/mediawiki-1.10.0/index.php?title=Yamaha#Linkies

More content in the future on my Wiki ....

Last edited by a moderator:
@Steve: 1971.

@Jim: I don't mind whatever you'd like to do to that page. It's a Wiki, after all :).

However, it's not really *done* yet. Gimmee some time.

Gandalfe said:
1. Pete, have you heard about an 8x version of the baritone?
2. Is there a period of time for which Yamaha saxes were made that are not recommended because of soft metal and initial designs that were used. I get comments from oldsters saying that they played a Yamaha such-and-such and it wasn't a good experience.
3. Can you point to some of the reviews done on these instruments? Not sure if you'd have to ask permission or not.
1. I've often heard mention of an 875 or an 82Z baritone, but if they haven't come up with a "super custom" bari after 37 years, I don't think they'll start. However, I've heard that Keilwerth is redesigning their bari and Selmer is supposed to have a Series III bari soon, so I guess it's more possible.

2. Yamaha switched brass compositions for their pro horns a few years back, I think starting with the 62II -- not exactly sure, but I think that's when they switched. They use "annealed French brass" now.

In the final pages I'm doing for the Yamaha family, I mention about a half dozen times that no one can prove to me that finish or body material makes a difference.

I have heard of folks saying that various stamped versions of the 62 are better than others and there may be some truth to that, as there are about a half-dozen listings for the 62 on their parts pages. However, this isn't necessarily indicative of a problem with brass composition. IMO, it's like some people insisting that there's a serial number range of Mark VIs that are better than others. No, not necessarily: they are just a bit different, tho.

3. I'm going to post lots of review-ish links when I have a chance. I'm very happy with the Stephen Howard stuff and he's reviewed a lot of the Yamaha products. I have also looked into Greg Vail's postings, but I caution that he's a Yamaha clinician (as you can see on the page I've posted) and that means he might be a bit biased.

Remember, of course: it's a Wiki. Make the 'site your own. Well, to a certain extent. :emoji_relaxed:

======

I need to go out and try an 82Z, just because. IMO, the 875/855 horns were the best thing since sliced Kenny G and then they improved the 875 with the EX. My only issue with these was that they were a bit too resistant in the altissimo range (for me).

======

Anyhow, I really just wanted y'all to see those links. Those videos are fantastic.

My guess is that Yamaha will bring out an 82Z baritone about the same time that Selmer brings out a Reference baritone. No solid facts just a guess.

Interesting you mention that.

If Selmer was to have a Reference baritone, it'd be a Reference 46. Why? That's when they came out with the SBA, the first low A bari. Also, allegedly their best baritone -- that's not according to me, but from other folks in teh sax werld.

FWIW, I do not have a ton of experience playing Selmer (Paris) baritones: I've played a couple S80s and a low Bb Mark VI in perfect shape -- and the VI was, hands down, the best bari I've evar played. However, I also have not tried the newer Yanagisawas (901/991/9930) and the Yamaha 52 I had really wasn't that much "worse" than the VI (the VI is more resonant, the 52 had better keywork). Definitely not worth what the price disparity would have been.

Nice stuff Pete! I've seen the factory tour video before, it's well done. I enjoyed watching some of the other promotional videos.

The bari player in the 9 piece group I play in has been playing a 61 for a long time. He's got a new silver 62 ordered and I may see that beauty the end of this month at our gig. Stinkin' government workers with extra income........:emoji_relaxed:

While I don't think the silver plating is necessarily "the world's best" -- as mentioned in that video -- it's pretty darn nice. And not that expensive of an option on most pitches -- $150 or so -- but it's $400 on the bari, per these guys.

And I've just started. There will be pages for:

* Introduction (which is what this page is)
* Brief bit on student and intermediate horns
* 62, 62II, 675
* 82Z
* 875 and 875EX

I've been doing some testing to see how I can make it look. I've got a lot of info and I want to see how pretty I can make it.

I do like the Wiki concept: other people can add stuff. It makes me less needed. It's also a pretty easy thing to edit.

Back
Top Bottom