Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Your Ugliest Horn Pictures

I've seen pipes that look a LOT worse than those :p.

I'm fairly certain that one of the reasons to use pipes in a military band was (at least, originally) to frighten your enemy. Not only the noise part, but the, "They're playing a [insert animal here]'s internal organs!" point. That'd frighten me, at least.

FWIW, the ugliest horn I've ever played in actual performances was a Conn New Wonder bare-brass baritone sax. It had a few keys replaced with keywork from a completely different instrument, which contrasted badly with the green, orange and red rust.

I've seen pipes that look a LOT worse than those :p.
heh. for sure! mine perhaps?

lovely arent they

tenor tops, bass mid

blowpipe stock in shiny heating vent tape. Its airtight AND weather resistant! win|win

I'm fairly certain that one of the reasons to use pipes in a military band was (at least, originally) to frighten your enemy. Not only the noise part, but the, "They're playing a [insert animal here]'s internal organs!" point. That'd frighten me, at least.
yah the "ick" factor has a negative co relation to the "omg -run!" factor the closer one gets to heather. Seems the Hungarians (curiously the only other piping trad that has a close assoc with military) went for the eww instead.

But the pertinent point being; highland pipers like to talk about the hand chased, zoomorphic designs on their silver ferrules & tuning slides, etc, etc... but it just makes the inst. heavier, raises the insurance premium, have to think twice about playing them in less than 45 F (rofl!) looks really tempting to steal & pawn, & does absolutely nothing for the sound. No chance anyone will covet mine, & theyre good from 17F to 117F.

To change it up a little around here, here's my ugliest clarinet, a 60's Noblet 40 school-band wreck with a plastic tenon replacement (the horn is wood) that broke and was glued back together with a polyethylene glue (the type that expands as it cures). It plays, but you can hear all 40 years of abuse it's taken.
IMGP3392.JPGIMGP3398.JPG

Back
Top Bottom