Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

1935 Vintage Buffet

Not so, at least for Selmer. I have Selmer horns (Series 9, Series 9*, Series 10S) that come in the following configurations:

Fork Eb only (Selmer Series 9* in A)

"Full Boehm" with fork Eb, articulated G# with extra trill key, LH Eb lever and low Eb key (Selmer Series 9 in A and Bb)

Partial "full Boehm" with fork Eb, articulated G# with extra trill key, LH Eb lever (Selmer Series 10S)

Articulated G# with extra trill key only (Selmer Series 9)

In addition, I have a very tarnished and slightly damaged Selmer metal clarinet with articulated G# with extra trill key and fork Eb only.

Back in the day when I bought my "matched pair of orchestral clarinets, I was given the choice of any or all of these mechanisms. Similarly, I know that Heckel sold their Boehm horns in a variety of such configurations.

Sadly, those days are long gone. Although Buffet has a list that says that you can purchase your Buffet horn in these different configurations, I've never actually seen a Buffet soprano with anything beyond the LH Eb lever. Amati still sells a "full Boehm", and I would imagine that Rossi and other makers would be willing to offer you the same (for a very pretty premium price). But Selmer (and, even more strangely, Leblanc, which used to offer a "near "full Boehm" in their Pete Fountain model) seem to have gotten out of the business entirely.

Question SOTSDO?

As the owner and amateur player of a Selmer Centered Tone (P1523- 1952) that is a great horn - would it make any real sense to get a Selmer series "9" as well (1964 vintage)? Assume that the price is reasonable given condition.

Note: I am not real collector, but I do have a "thing" for vintage instruments and also for Selmer clarinets.

That depends upon your wishes. Me, I want as many gigs as I can get so I don't have a lot of any one horn, but for example Eb, C, Bb, A soprano, alto, bass and contrabass clarinets. I do sometimes end up with multiple horns if I'm trying to get the right one for my playing style and needs.

Hmm- let me rephrase gandalfe.

I guess what I was asking, am asking!, is would I expect any major difference in "sound" between an early Centered Tone and a Series "9". Both were large bore, apparently the Series "9" has slightly smaller bore holes, and obviously neither is polycylindrical.

I like my Centered Tone, and if the sound of the "9" would be very similar - I see no need for such a purchase. BUT, if at a good price I get an instrument with enough tonal difference to represent a change? Might be a viable option. Just as a "change of pace" type deal.

Back
Top Bottom