I just ordered the new Kessler low C bass

I really didn't think I'd like the steeper one that comes standard with the Selmer Privilege bass clarinets. I'd heard it was designed for clarinetists and I'm primarily a sax player. But I really have come to love it. And I can adjust the angle down by pushing the bell away from me if need be.

Gandalfe said:
Merlin said:
I like to angle the bottom of the bass towards me, rather than away. If you've got slightly shorter arm like me, angling the bell away just isn't possible.
Well, I am 6' 4". :cool:

Wow. You probably need to use a peg with a low C bass.

Mine will likely sit right on the floor.

What is it with all of you tall guys?

Jim and Pete are both over 6 foot tall.

Hi, I'm Ed and I'm 5' 6".

Merlin,

Do folks up in Canada talk about their weight in stones or is that just an Australian thing?

Ed Svoboda said:
Merlin,

Do folks up in Canada talk about their weight in stones or is that just an Australian thing?
It's more of a UK thing, IME. My folks still think of their weight that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Merlin said:
Wow. You probably need to use a peg with a low C bass. Mine will likely sit right on the floor.
Yes, the peg is usually pegged out to it's full (but safe) extension.
Ed Svoboda said:
What is it with all of you tall guys? Jim and Pete are both over 6 foot tall.
I seriously wonder if I get the jobs and advances through life because I so tall and handsome. ;)

OK, I promised a report back on the Kessler bass.

So far I'm very pleased. The acid test on any bass for me is if I can play it in tune in the confines of a professional pit. Everything I played at today's rehearsal worked very well.

My Selmer bass is set up so that the middle B is dead on, but the low E is quite flat. The Kessler splits the difference on the two, making the B a bit more work, but the low E a lot easier.

The neckstrap lug that's on the horn is useless - it needs to be on the upper joint, and centred on the horn.

Keywork is light and fast. I showed it to another player whose opinion I respect, and he commented on how nice the action is.

I'll keep the updates coming. Today was a partial run and rehearsal; tomorrow's a dress, so if there are any pitfalls, that's when I'm going to find them.

The only thing I'm really disappointed in with this bass so far is the neckstrap location. It's down to the left of the thumbrest. It needs to be centred on the body of the horn to be usefull, and there should be two lugs, one on the upper joint, one on the lower.

The tuning is really good. I just have to get used to having a more in tune low E and Eb and a slightly sharp middle B. The Selmer has a very in tune middle B with a very flat low E.

Peg
It will come back to you
Peg
It will come back to you
Then the shutter falls
You see it all in 3-d
Its your favorite foreign movie

:-D

Why are you using the neck strap? The peg works so much better. Am I missing something here? Every bass clarinet player I know uses the peg.

I'm not using the neck strap right now.

1. the lug is in a useless location

2. I'm playing a pit show where I'm seated all the time and have to make fast changes.

However...I do have to play a bass clarinet feature with a big band fairly often, and for that I have to stand. Ergo, I need a workable neck strap setup.

Either that, or a Steve Fox custom peg.

Back
Top Bottom