Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

I just ordered the new Kessler low C bass

Merlin said:
I'm not using the neck strap right now.

1. the lug is in a useless location

2. I'm playing a pit show where I'm seated all the time and have to make fast changes.

However...I do have to play a bass clarinet feature with a big band fairly often, and for that I have to stand. Ergo, I need a workable neck strap setup.

Either that, or a Steve Fox custom peg.
There's one other option--don't stand for the bass clarinet solos. :cool:

I have a Model 33 to low C, and for short standing work (say eight bars or so) I'll just play it off of the thumb hook. For something more substantial (say the Doris Day version of Sentimental Journey, which is just one long bass clarinet obligato), I use the stock peg with a stool, or a peg from a low Eb horn with something shorter.

Merlin, I just got done going through your clips on your web site. You should add them to your signature. Nice stuff. Is that CD that you performed on available publicly?

Sure thing.

Jim Galloway's Wee Big Band - Blue Reverie. It's on the Sackville label.

I have a Model 33 to low C, and for short standing work (say eight bars or so) I'll just play it off of the thumb hook. For something more substantial (say the Doris Day version of Sentimental Journey, which is just one long bass clarinet obligato), I use the stock peg with a stool, or a peg from a low Eb horn with something shorter.

I was thinking of trying that. I'm just concerned the low Eb peg I have is too flexible.

Hey Merlin, I'm thinking about getting one of those Kessler Bass Clarinets. I had a couple of questions for you...
1) Are you still liking it???
2) Did you order it off the Kessler website???
3) Did you get charged a big duty at the border???
4) How much did it cost including all shipping etc.?

1) Are you still liking it???

Yes

2) Did you order it off the Kessler website???

I spoke to Dave on the phone

3) Did you get charged a big duty at the border???

I paid PST/GST, plus the UPS shipping/clearing charge

4) How much did it cost including all shipping etc.?

$2500 CDN

Dave and his dad Chuck stand by his Kessler line of instruments as they do with everything they offer. If you talk with them in email or on phone mention Merlin's name, it would carry some clout too.

I probably have about 10 horns I've bought from him if you include the ones for my kids and grandkids. All are keepers and played flawlessly, to my tastes from day one. And if you are ever in Vegas, you should swing by the shop. It is nice to buy these and if you are in the states not pay shipping or taxes.

That's cool.

Ya I'm ordering it Today. I think they are back ordered right now, but Andy Ballantyne said I could borrow his bass clarinet which is the kessler for Beauty so either way I'll be playing a Kessler ... I'm excited!

Just wanted to update on one issue.

We have had the factory reposition the strap hook on the bass. It is now centered on the body. We still use just the 1 hook hole above the thumb rest on the lower joint (just like Selmer Paris does) but at least now it is cenetered rather than to the left.

Just wanted to update on one issue.

We have had the factory reposition the strap hook on the bass. It is now centered on the body. We still use just the 1 hook hole above the thumb rest on the lower joint (just like Selmer Paris does) but at least now it is cenetered rather than to the left.

Here is a picture of the new placement of the strap hook.

I just finished uploading a new set of more detailed photos of the instrument than we had before as well. http://www.kesslermusic.com/KesslerCustomSax/bassclarinet/bassclarinet.html

Since Dave's updating things, I will too.

I added a Wolf Super Endpin Bumper to my bass. I'd heartily recommend those as a worthy addition to just about any bass or contra clarinet.

My Kessler bass is presently being used in my third season at the Stratford Shakespeare Festival. It's also seen action in numerous other theatre gigs, big band work, and I used when I played with Dame Shirley Bassey.

I was thinking of trying out the Kessler bassoon too, but I'm kind of attached to the Ab/Bb trill key on my Kohlert.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to hear a review of someone trying out the Eppelsheim contrabasson -- for that matter, his contrabass clarinet, too.
If you can tell me how to isolate only the audio from a video file, I could post the audio of when I tried the Eppelsheim contrabass clarinet. I also tried the Ripamonti contrabass and have a short clip of that one. Both are noisy since they are from an exhibition but you can hear a bit. I wouldn't really judge much from the tone though because of that, plus I'm not really a contrabass clarinet player as I'm just considering it now, leaning towards the Eppelsheim.

Reminds me - I inquired at Inderbinen's about a bass clarinet, i.e. if they'd make one if one popped by, waving a wad of money. Unfortunately, they don't.
Then again, my wad wouldn't have been thick enough anyway.
For a specially made instrument I wouldn't recommend buying one unless you can try at least the same model, like is possible with Eppelsheim for example, or with Inderbinen saxophones.

Back
Top Bottom